Too loose steering but different motor

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
I looked at my 1987 Force which is also a 85 hp. I couldn't see a way to tighten it up. Same thing with my 1978 Chrysler 85 hp. Years ago I had a Fiberform boat I/O that had very loose steering. I was on a full plain when it broke, it turned a hard right, I lost half my gear into the lake that day. The cable broke at the connection on the outdrive. Scared the living daylights out of me. It also pulled the front motor mount right out of the boat. I watch my cables closely now a days!

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thats a scary sounding situation and thats what I dont want to happen to me I cant even go check my poles while Im slow trolling. Great thing is my wife loves to fish as much as me but she catches every thing cause I cant leave the wheel. I will either figure out a way to slow it down or switch out the steering

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Keep us informed on what you do. I fixed that boat and ended up selling it. From that day on it made me nervous when at WOT.

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have taken the whole steering stuff apart and looked on teleflexes website, I have found no way to tighten it up so a kill switch is on the way. Im not really worried about it turning so easy unless I have a heart attack or something else when Im driving it and the kill switch should take care of that. Since I just put on a new cable I will wait till it gets worn the switch to something I can tighten. Maybe a steering dampner if they make such a thing for a boat?