Too loose steering but different motor

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I mean my steering is if you let go of the steering wheel the motor turns to either side very fast and it has no resistance. Ive searched the clymers manual and all the other sources with no help from any of them. Im just wondering how to tighten up the steering on a 1986 force 85 model #856x6l. Thanks for any and all help Petej I have searched the motor up and down but I cant find anyway to tighten it up

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That model?? the steering wheel might have a tension nut on the bottom of it.
​Look at the bottom of the bezel where it meets the dash, it might have a hole in it or maybe even the screw.
No hole? loosen the bezel and see if there is an adjustment screw??
Let us know?

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Took steering wheel off pulled the plastic part and there is nothing to tighten. No screws no nothing. Its a teleflex part. Hope I never fall asleep at the wheel or any other unforseen problems, Id be doing some hardcore donuts :). And thanks for the advice and maybe I just need to dunk it in saltwater that always tightens things up :)

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I saw a motor with 2 heavy duty black rubber bungee cords holding the motor in place.
One on each side.
It would turn and come back straight when the wheel is let loose.

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thats funny but I would do it if i had to or maybe just put in a kill switch

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Kill switch is a good item to have, if it's used???
Depending on the boat model??
​The early 86 didn't use a kill switch, sometime during that year they started putting them in the system.

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I dont have one on this boat but all my other ones did. Its just like you say though if its used and I dont ever remember putting on the leash

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I have a 1988 center console, it came with twin motors..
​It came with kill buttons on the motors.
One of the first things I did was disable the switch.
​They were a poor design and the lanyard would fall off of the port motor.
Thankfully I never had a problem with needing the switch:)

​I repowered and the 2002 Mercury doesn't have a kill system in the wiring harness??????

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just ordered a kill switch today. Its the kind were you fall over or something else the lanyard pulls out and motor stops. sure wish there was a better way of fixing the steering than bungie cords though that really is my main concern.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Look on Ebay for a true course steering set up. They have a thumb screw on the bottom of the bezel and this allows you to tighten up the steering. Are you running a rack system? You would only need the upper part of the rack, the small round gear section with the bezel and all. You should also be able to keep your steering wheel. With one of these a person can also tighten it up idle along in a straight line.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Only two places for slack to apoear. At the helm or at the motor. Manually twist the motor and see if there is looseness at the motor. If not, fix the helm.

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks KBH I will find that today and I believe its a rack system but not sure , It does not have gears you can see. Silvertip I dont have any slack but thanks for the info. Its not a rack just found that out on ebay

Last edited:

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Pete J does your steering look something like this? This ones an OMC but others have them.

Attachments

• photo279093.jpg
    photo279093.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo279095.jpg
    photo279095.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 0

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the rotary system and I just put in a new cable or I would put in the rack. Thanks for the pics

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
If you don't have any slack on the outboard itself when the steering is disconnected, Your problem would be in the rotary itself. When a cable goes bad the steering gets stiff. The inner cable is worn into the outer or it is full of corrosion. If you order a new system make sure that it is the same length as it is important. If you go with a rack and pinion style you will need room for around 12" to 18" for the rack which sits on top of the pinion.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
The only movement on the outboard itself should only be from left to right as in turning. It is similar to a king pin on an automobile. If you have any other movement in that area, this is your problem area and needs repair. Please keep on informed.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Somewhere in his system it's worn. I have replaced a few cables but it was because they were worn out and the steering was very stiff. I took the time and cleaned one once with solvent, you wouldn't believe all the junk that came out of it. I had an old OMC stinger that was super easy to steer but it had the "true course" steering on it and I was able to tighten it up. I am thinking that his rotary gearbox is very worn?

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It could be worn but it doesnt feel like it. Theres no wiggle from side to side or any other way it just steers way to easy . I just need to find a way to tighten it up and those bungie cords are starting to look sweet :)