Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Too loose steering but different motor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too loose steering but different motor

I mean my steering is if you let go of the steering wheel the motor turns to either side very fast and it has no resistance. Ive searched the clymers manual and all the other sources with no help from any of them. Im just wondering how to tighten up the steering on a 1986 force 85 model #856x6l. Thanks for any and all help Petej I have searched the motor up and down but I cant find anyway to tighten it up
    Last edited by pete j; October 4th, 2017, 08:41 PM. Reason: forgot to add
    Lompoc california 1986 force 85856X6L

That model?? the steering wheel might have a tension nut on the bottom of it.
    ​Look at the bottom of the bezel where it meets the dash, it might have a hole in it or maybe even the screw.
    No hole? loosen the bezel and see if there is an adjustment screw??
    Let us know?

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.
    ​Tools to make my life easier: Battery tester, die grinder, temp.gun, compression tester, DVA meter.

In Scenic , Beautiful San Sebastian by the sea Florida

88 Bayliner 21CC 2001 Mercury 225 HP EFI

Comment

Took steering wheel off pulled the plastic part and there is nothing to tighten. No screws no nothing. Its a teleflex part. Hope I never fall asleep at the wheel or any other unforseen problems, Id be doing some hardcore donuts . And thanks for the advice and maybe I just need to dunk it in saltwater that always tightens things up
      Last edited by pete j; October 7th, 2017, 07:49 PM. Reason: cause I can

Comment

I saw a motor with 2 heavy duty black rubber bungee cords holding the motor in place.
        One on each side.
        It would turn and come back straight when the wheel is let loose.

​Tools to make my life easier: Battery tester, die grinder, temp.gun, compression tester, DVA meter.

Comment

Thats funny but I would do it if i had to or maybe just put in a kill switch

Comment

Kill switch is a good item to have, if it's used???
            Depending on the boat model??
            ​The early 86 didn't use a kill switch, sometime during that year they started putting them in the system.

Comment

I dont have one on this boat but all my other ones did. Its just like you say though if its used and I dont ever remember putting on the leash

Comment

I have a 1988 center console, it came with twin motors..
                ​It came with kill buttons on the motors.
                One of the first things I did was disable the switch.
                ​They were a poor design and the lanyard would fall off of the port motor.
                Thankfully I never had a problem with needing the switch

​I repowered and the 2002 Mercury doesn't have a kill system in the wiring harness??????

Comment

I just ordered a kill switch today. Its the kind were you fall over or something else the lanyard pulls out and motor stops. sure wish there was a better way of fixing the steering than bungie cords though that really is my main concern.

Comment

Look on Ebay for a true course steering set up. They have a thumb screw on the bottom of the bezel and this allows you to tighten up the steering. Are you running a rack system? You would only need the upper part of the rack, the small round gear section with the bezel and all. You should also be able to keep your steering wheel. With one of these a person can also tighten it up idle along in a straight line.

Comment

Only two places for slack to apoear. At the helm or at the motor. Manually twist the motor and see if there is looseness at the motor. If not, fix the helm.

Comment

Thanks KBH I will find that today and I believe its a rack system but not sure , It does not have gears you can see. Silvertip I dont have any slack but thanks for the info. Its not a rack just found that out on ebay
                        Last edited by pete j; October 11th, 2017, 09:05 AM. Reason: oops

Comment

Pete J does your steering look something like this? This ones an OMC but others have them.

Comment

If it doesn't look like this, you have the rotary system.

Comment

I have the rotary system and I just put in a new cable or I would put in the rack. Thanks for the pics

Comment

Working...
                              X