Compatibility

Git Er Done

Recruit
Hello;
I have a 1994 Force 120hp where the #1 cyclinder is 'blown'. I can get the repair kit, and spend hours rebuilding, but on ebay is a 1995 Force with very low hours (missing the bottom third of leg) at a good price. What I want to know is can I do a swap; his good top end for my good bottom end....or at least his power head for mine?
My serial number is: E089292 and his is: E114258.
Many thanks
Brendan

Last edited by a moderator:

blackd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would think the 95 power head is nearly identical to yours and would cross. I think yours was the last year for Chrysler, and the 95 was the 1st year for the mercury hybrid. AFAIK Mercury didn't do much to the power head except to update to their own ignition. If you do look at it get a compression test, and if he will hook it up get it started. You can run it for a short while with a hose attached to the water tube. If it s the one I'm seeing, it looks reasonable, but the lower leg will cost from $400 -$1000+ for the 95 if you decide to upgrade it. At least it is a mercury and there are lots. It should be a 3 jaw. If you decide to replace the 94 with the 95 power head it is probably a salt water motor with all that entails for removing it.

Jerry should be along soon to help fill in the details.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The crank is different.
The drive shaft is different.
Thus the 95 probably won't fit.
​As far as looks it is pretty darn close but not close enough.
The lower won't swap.
I'd pass and try to find one just a little older.

How bad is the one you have?
Post some pics?
After 3 posts you can add them here.
​Or try a photo sharing site, Shutterfly works good.

blackd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Jerry, out of curiosity, when you say the crank is different do you mean the earlier drive shafts won't connect?

It was that kind of doubt that made me go down the correct the problems in the 95 path.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
1995 is the year they made the switch to the Mercury designed lower unit on the 120 hp model.

so yes, the driveshaft splines will not line up with the crankshaft splines.

blackd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, Jerry, that should be a big help as to which direction is best for Git Er Done.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
A lot of answers could be answered if they'd look at a parts diagram and compare what they have against what's available.
But if they did??
I wouldn't have anything to do first thing in the AM :)

Git Er Done

Recruit
Thanks to everyone who has helped me with my 1994 120 Force compatibility question. I really just want a new 'head' replacement that will replace the one I have and 'fit' to my already existing leg. According to what you have all posted, I need to find a 1990-1994 version, and that will fit 'hand in glove'. I shall begin the search!
Many thanks to one and all.
Brendan

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Look for a complete motor.
Then it's just remove and install.
Then you don't have to be so picky as what will fit!!