70 HP Chrysler Outboard (Only starts when Engine is trimmed up...)

I can not cold start my outboard in the lowered position, it has to be trimmed up to start. It tries starting but never starts. Yes it is placed in neutral before starting and yes i choke the motor. I replaced the choke solenoid, spark plugs, ran carb cleaner (Sea Foam) through the motor when it was running, cleaned all the fuel lines, the battery is fully charged, clean connections. Why would this be happening? This only happens on a cold start. Once its started and running for a while I can start it when lowered. I am guessing its a fuel issue since it is probably the only thing that changes from trim up to trim down. After all there are only 3 things needed for a start.... (Spark, Fuel, Oxygen) I don't flood it, i'm certain of this because i have even pulled the fuel lines from the carbs to see if they are getting fuel after pumping and they are. I replaced all the spark plugs, cleaned out all the fuel hoses and fuel filter. Not sure what else to look for. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

And it isn't overheating because the impeller is melted? Has any other work been done?

Rebuild the carbs. Seafoam won't fix carbs.

Thank you for the welcome! Overheating on a cold start?? lol, is that even possible.... and no that is everything done as far as i know. This issue recently started about a month ago. Nothing has changed.

GA_Boater

Thank you for the welcome! Overheating on a cold start?? lol, is that even possible.... and no that is everything done as far as i know. This issue recently started about a month ago. Nothing has changed.

Starting the motor out of the water burns up the impeller. So yes, it will overheat.

Check compression and spark, then rebuild the carbs.

GA_Boater

Changing the title doesn't change what was in black and white.

Compression and spark, then do the carbs.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I had the same problem.
I'd try to start on the hose or in the water.
Motor down, nothing unless I used starting fluid.
Comp 145# all 3 great spark all 3.

​Try cleaning the carbs and make sure the floats are set right?
One float being out can cause the hard starting.

Mine eventually went away, never did figure it out???

The impeller once it's wet shouldn't get burned up.
Your not running it dry and if it starts even coughs then lower it right away.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Get an adjustable spark tester ($10 or so at an auto parts store), and check for spark -- testing ignition health, plugs removed. Make sure wire connections are shiny and battery fully charged. Look for about a half inch, sharp spark. Both ignition and carburetor tests are best done with the lower unit submerged (need back pressure). Water depth about half way up the leg.

Thank you for the responses, Ill be sure to look into that. I finally got it to start working properly, i get a backfire every once in a while, i believe the engine was being flooded by accident, its not easy to pump the gas and determine when to stop. Now i only pump once and try to start it. If it continues to not start i pump it again and repeat the process. I plan on cleaning the carbs but going to watch several youtube video's first to make sure i dont screw it up.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF??? the ball doesn't get hard when it's pumped then there is a problem.

The first place I'd look is the fuel pump diaphragm then the squeezie then the inline connectors or the floats are out of adjustment.
The connectors have rubber seals in them and they go bad after time and can suck air.
​The squeezie has a one way valve, they can go bad and allow fuel to flow back into the tank.
​The diaphragm can have a hole and allow the motor to flood.

​The squeezie's only job is to draw fuel up to the carbs and when the float/needle get all the fuel it needs in the bowl,
​it shuts off the flow and gets hard.
​Once the motor starts the squeezie does nothing except go soft.