Removing power head Force 120

Jrmhars

Recruit
Hi guys, I'm brand new to the forum. I have a mechanical background, but mostly in automotive and could really use you "Force" guys help with a couple of things......much appreciated. I watched a very good video that a gent made on removing the power head of a Force 120hp........,same thing that I'm working on. I got tons of good tips from video.....however it went from unhooking and unbolting everything on powerhead to next seeing it on his truck tailgate. He stated he had some difficulties getting the powerhead off, but didn't specify or give tips on how to do easily without damage. I've undone the 4 bolts on rubber mounted base inside the lower cowling. Undone 6 large bolts outside under lower cowling. Undone all linkages and lines inside cowling. Should be ready to lift powerhead......right? not a chance! Is it siliconed sealed to lower unit? Do I need overhead block and tackle to remove? Any tidbits of info is greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help with this guys. Cheers J.R.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Year? Model#??
The later years use Mercury parts and some things are a little different in the later years.
You get the one nut on the center of the rear?
It's hidden in there? There might be 7 nuts??

The silicone does a real good job of holding the head on the mid section.

I use a tree in my yard and a come along. Make up a bracket for lifting the head.
Mount it as close to the center of the flywheel as possible.
​The 1/4-20 screw holes in the flywheel are big enough to use.
​You might need to use a screw driver between the adaptor plate and the mid section.
There is a tab that a screwdriver or pry bar fits in.
The adaptor plate comes off with the head.
The exhaust tube comes off with it also.
The screws on the exhaust are 1/4-20 stainless and break very easy.
​So if you don't need to remove it from the adaptor plate?? don't.

Jrmhars

Recruit
Hey thanks very much Jerry, really appreciate the help! It's a 1995 Force 120hp outboard. I have not seen the 7th bolt yet but will be looking for it soon. Thanks again, will let you know how I make out! J.R.

Jrmhars

Recruit
Hey Jerry, just checked the motor and there is a casting lug on the back with a threaded hole, but no marks on paint of a bolt ever being there. Could they have changed that in the year? Thanks again

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
95 is when they went to mostly Mercury parts and a different adaptor plate.
​Myself, I haven't removed a block from anything past 94.
​Find a parts breakdown or get a factory manual, the aftermarket books aren't specific enough.
​boatsdotnet has good parts diagrams.
E-bay is a good place to look for the manual.
​Keep us posted on how it goes????