Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Tilt/Trim Valve Body Check Valve removal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt/Trim Valve Body Check Valve removal

I have searched the forums and I see most people use compressed air thru the 2 small holes in the valve body to blow out the check valves after removing the circlips. That is not working for me. Can I get access to those by taking the pump apart?

You can take the pump section apart but I doubt it'll give you access to the valves. Not really sure since you never mentioned what year or HP is the motor and T&T in question. By all means take it apart and then let us know if you can get access to the check valves. This will be very helpful for members with the same problem.

Comment

Sorry bout that. It is on a pontoon with a 1987 Force 85 engine. I would prefer some other way because I understand there are lots of little pieces if I do. i.e. springs, check balls, tiny washers, etc. And I certainly don't want to take it apart unless it will give me access to the valves.
      Last edited by AFFTAXI; September 16th, 2017, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Taking the pump apart, it gas springs and check balls in there?
        Not easy to reassemble..

​If you keep playing with it, it should eventually come apart.

​Been in salt water? then it will be a lot harder.

Only work on one end.
        Try pushing it IN just a little bit.
        Then tap the body on a piece of soft wood(pine)
        Trying to move it back to where it was.
        Then try the other end, that might come apart easier.

It might take a couple of hours to get apart.

Or just buy a replacement.
        The cheapest ones are just that.
        ​Lots of times they don't work right out of the box.

Let us know how it progresses???

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.
        ​Tools to make my life easier: Battery tester, die grinder, temp.gun, compression tester, DVA meter.

In Scenic , Beautiful San Sebastian by the sea Florida

88 Bayliner 21CC 2001 Mercury 225 HP EFI

Comment

I wonder if there is any way to use the hydraulic force from the pump itself? Maybe plug off the output ports and remove the circlip on one side while holding a rag over the check valve and pulsing the motor? Would that be a possibility?

Comment

Yes.
            ​Just be careful, lots of pressure.

​Tools to make my life easier: Battery tester, die grinder, temp.gun, compression tester, DVA meter.

Comment

I guess that will only work for one side though? Anybody know if the shuttle will come out with valve so I could push the other side out with something?

Comment

Or maybe, I could take out both circlips and then put a large screw-in hose clamp around the ports so the valves can't blow all the way out? That would avoid the hi pressure problem and be safer than a rag. Sound feasible?

Comment

Once the one comes out, the other can be pushed through.

Comment

you just need a stronger compressor - i borrowed my neighbors and it shot right out. Like Jerry said once you get one side just take the shuttle valve out and use a wooden dowl to push the other side out
                    2003 Malibu Sunsetter LXI, Acme 525, Radar P6 ski

(I still like to help with Force outboards !)

Comment

My proposed setup. This should take them right out hydraulically by reassembling to the pump or with good air pressure to prevent losing any parts. I'll find out in the morning and post back my results.
                      Last edited by AFFTAXI; September 17th, 2017, 09:50 PM.

Comment

OK. You're setup is looking good from the pics. You have all the hyd connections plugged. Now turn the VB over and you should see small holes as shown in the pics below. Using a rubber tip air nozzle and using about 50 psi of compressed air, pressed and blow into one of the small holes while covering the rest of the remaining holes with your other fingers. This should just be a quick burst for a second.

Note make sure you only removed one circ clip and using a rag to catch all the parts that will come out. If the spool valve (which houses the small check valve and spring) gets stuck and would not come out all the way. Push it back in with a slight tap using a large screw driver. Before trying again, clean the lip and surround area on the hole until bare metal. Try blowing again.

If it only comes out a little bit, put a drop of oil and push it back in again and then blow it out again. And yes, it will eventually come out. If it's too stubborn switch to the other spool valve and keep trying. And yes, as soon as you get one side out, all you need to remove the other side is to push it out with a wood dowel or similar tool except metal.

And yes, as soon as one spool valve gets out the shuttle valve goes out with it.

Comment

Well guys, I did not try this with the air, but I did put the VB back on the pump, tapped it once or twice, they both came right on out to the hose clamp stop. Might be helpful to someone some day. Thanks everyone for all the great responses.

Comment

God for you!!
                            ​Next time, I'll clamp it.

Comment

One of my Stainless Circlips went flying to an alternate universe while I was taking it off. Am I in trouble?

Comment

Working...
                              X