Oil type / capasity / procedure for oil and winterization force125 lowe leg

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I want to change the oil in the lower leg before winter. Any info on the procedure? does the motor / leg hold water anywhere that i should drain that could potentially freeze in the winter?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Water drains when the motor is down. For extra peace of mind, turn the flywheel by hand or do a short crank to ensure water caught in the water pump is pushed out.

Remove the fill and vent screws and let the oil drain into a catch container, then look for water in the bottom of the container. If the oil looks good, fill the lower unit from the bottom.

On a scale from 1-10, changing outboard lower unit oil is a 0. One of the easiest jobs on a boat.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Just remember to use a marine grade of gear lube. The hardest part is removing the very small Allen screw drain plug! Please take the time and read the posts from a couple days back with problems on removing this plug in this group.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Make sure you DO NOT remove the slotted screw on the side of the drive.
It's pivot pin and taking it out can cause TONS of work.

AFFTAXI

Cadet
I took that screw out. I knew I made a mistake as soon as I did it. Thank the Lord, I was able to screw it back in and everything was fine. I knew I probably got pretty lucky.