force 125 fuel mixture

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently rebuilt a force 125 and it seems to run great, but the boat is not all that fast, I believe i have the timing correct. I have been mixing the gas 20:1 to brake it in. would a mixture this rich rob me of a ton of performance?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
20:1 will make a difference, but not a huge difference.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Break-in mix was 24:1 for about the first 10 hrs, then 50:1. Are the linkages all set correct so the spark advances fully and the carbs are opening fully? And is it propped correctly?

Jiggz

Captain
Just exactly what is, "ton of performance". RPM at WOT, Speed via gps and boat load.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
It's a 125 and not the most powerful motor out there.
​You give NO other info?? boat size? rpm's? load? prop size? trim@tilt? compression? spark test?
Same boat it was on before?
A bit more info?

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Same boat, bran new engine, I just rebuilt the entire thing. everything is set properly, and i have noticed the more its run the more power it has. All is set correctly, timing and all. runs great. its a 20' bayliner. Last night i put 1 gallon 50:1 in with my 20:1 mix, it backed it into the water keeping it on the trailer, started it checked with a timing light at wot for a second and it literally picked up the entire trailer. I think its running as it should it was just the gas mix and not being run much yet.
I literally do not even have a hr on it yet. Tonight if the weather is nice i will mix 20:1 like it was (taking the performance hit) to continue breakin. I am fairly confident its where it should be now.