Boat Not Starting Now

Brian & Lynn

Cadet
New to us, 1985 Bayliner Capri with 85 HP Force motor. Recently had running after years of not being operational. Needed new water pump/impellor as no water was coming out of the "pisser". Removed lower unit and replaced as needed. Now boat not starting, not even turning over. Almost like battery is dead after being on charger and it reading charged.

Anything special we should know?

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Make sure its in neutral, I was at the dock getting ready to take off the other day messed with everything trying to figure out what was wrong then my wife asked is it in neutral and bam off we went. Still feel like a idiot about that one :(

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
try starting the motor, not the boat... :D

Seriously make sure you have all wires hooked to battery. Couple weeks ago took my and two buddies a 12 pack to discover I missed hooking up the main black wire.

Jiggz

Captain
Not even cranking. Is there a "click" sound when you start to indicate the solenoid is engaging? How about the choke, when you push in the key does the choke engages? What about if you short the solenoid with a screwdriver, does the starter engages at all? Need more symptoms to troubleshoot properly.

Brian & Lynn

Cadet
Well immediately prior to taking lower unit off and replacing the water pump, all was working fine. It was late and dark out when we finished getting it back together so we just waited til next day to try to start. It wasn't making any sounds or clicks. No attempts at turning over. It was like something/wore wasn't connected or battery completely drained.

I tried again this morning and nothing. But this afternoon it started for me like nothing. Not sure what or why but thrilled it did.

Jiggz

Captain
Well it's working so I won't mess with it for now. But keep an eye just in case problem shows up again so you can re-trace back.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The first 3 posts in the Force Forum has tips and procedures for maintaining your motor.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
clean all battery contacts to shiny and reattach.

Also - when I swapped my 75 Rude from the donor boat to the new one I hooked on the negative on the engine block but just barely started the nut on the stem until i was ready to crank all the rest down - but forgot that one. Worked fine until on the water then zero start/noise took an hour of jacking around until I found it. All good since.

Aceboone

Recruit
I hope and pray there is someone that can fix or solve my question. I have a Chrysler 507X7C outboard that I got off a donor boat, I have all the original wiring harness from engine to boat. After placing engine I hooked all controls, and put all wires as I saw to on wire diagram on motor label. However I've been having a problem getting spark from either coil. I've checked all resistance and ohm throughout trigger, coils, etc. I haven't connected the wires to anything inside the boat this far because I can't get a start from motor.. this is what I have. - main ground - main positive- touching yellow starter wire on positive post for starting- I have also a ground wire inside harness connected on battery ground/ does this need to be grounded at all times or is this why I'm not getting a spark? - I also have tied into positive side post a white wire and a blue wire as these are listed as coil ****- I didn't tie in Choke wire as I just use it by tapping on top of positive battery to engage choke- I didn't hook up the orange heat wire either- not have I connected the tach wire- if anyone has any info for me please please lemme know what you got in your head!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Acebone start your own thread.
​The moderators get upset when you add to another's post.
Look at the top of this forum.
There is a thread starter block.

​The question you added is really hard to read when it's all one long sentence.

​Read the instructions and the first few posts in this forum.
​There are tips for keeping your motor running.
Any idea of the year?1987?

A no spark problem is usually the points?
Try filing them?
If you have a ground wire not hooked?? try it?