Fuel at choke?

iwaterdave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an '86 125hp Force outboard that runs fine when started and warm. I can get up on plane and full throttle everything runs as expected. But when cold it won't start and won't get fuel to the carbs. I have an electronic choke that is supposed to help it start. But about 2 months ago even that does nothing. I can get it to start by spraying starting fluid in then choking and starting. I have had carburetors off several times to be cleaned and replaced the fuel filter with no results.

So, is my issue the fuel pump, carbs or something else? I didn't think it was fuel pump cause it still works when running. HELP

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the fuel pump is working.

It could be something as simple as your starting procedure,
Review the following.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Open fuel tank vent
Check the kill switch, place in "run" position
Open fuel tank vent.
Squeeze fuel primer bulb till firm.

Advance the throttle 3/4 way or more, without putting it in gear. -- This is done by either pushing a button in the center of the controls, or pulling the shift handle toward the driver, or raising the fast idle lever, all depending on what control unit you have.

Turn the key to the on/run position.
Activate the choke by pushing in on the key. Its only activated while the key is being pushed in.

Turn the key to start while continuing to hold the key in.

Release the key and choke when it starts.
3-5 seconds of "choke", is usually enough.

Be ready to pull the throttle back toward the idle/neutral position, when the engine starts and the revs increase.
Continue to pull the throttle back as the engine warms up.
You should not have to use the choke much, if at all, once the engine has warmed up.
Engine should start within 10 seconds of turning the key.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Do a compression and spark test.
Often if compression is low on one or more cyl. it can be real hard starting???

Is ?? the choke operating? Does it pull the choke shutters closed?

​Is it turning over fast enough?

Any fuel coming back through the carbs? Check the reeds.?

You using fast idle?

iwaterdave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do a compression and spark test.
Often if compression is low on one or more cyl. it can be real hard starting???

Is ?? the choke operating? Does it pull the choke shutters closed?

​Is it turning over fast enough?

Any fuel coming back through the carbs? Check the reeds.?

You using fast idle?

I'm not sure what the reeds look like when bad. Yes the choke activates but I don't know how to check if fuel is coming while choked. My guess is no. That's what needs fixing. Motor rotates fast enough to start right up when I spray starting fluid in it...
Yes using fast idle.

iwaterdave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like the fuel pump is working.

It could be something as simple as your starting procedure,
Review the following.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Open fuel tank vent
Check the kill switch, place in "run" position
Open fuel tank vent.
Squeeze fuel primer bulb till firm.

Advance the throttle 3/4 way or more, without putting it in gear. -- This is done by either pushing a button in the center of the controls, or pulling the shift handle toward the driver, or raising the fast idle lever, all depending on what control unit you have.

Turn the key to the on/run position.
Activate the choke by pushing in on the key. Its only activated while the key is being pushed in.

Turn the key to start while continuing to hold the key in.

Release the key and choke when it starts.
3-5 seconds of "choke", is usually enough.

Be ready to pull the throttle back toward the idle/neutral position, when the engine starts and the revs increase.
Continue to pull the throttle back as the engine warms up.
You should not have to use the choke much, if at all, once the engine has warmed up.
Engine should start within 10 seconds of turning the key.

I know how the choke works... User error is not the issue here.

Jiggz

Captain
First and foremost install a clear fuel filter between the fuel pump outlet and the carbs' inlet. This is more for troubleshooting rather than fuel filtering. Even a simple Fram G2 for less than $5 from Wally world will do and even comes with hose clamps. Or any fuel filter that fits your fuel hoses (usually 1/4" ~ 5/16" in diameter) as long as it's clear.

When squeezing the primer bulb during priming, watch the clear fuel filter hose and you should see fuel rushing through it. If not, then the primer bulb is faulty. You should be able to fill the clear fuel filter at least half way, 3/4 or full.

Following the preceding starting procedures, start the motor without the cowl cover. Engage the choke and crank it over while watching making sure the choke stays engaged during the cranking process. Continue cranking for no more than 5~8 seconds at a time. The motor should at least cough or even start if everything is working accordingly.

If the choke drops or disengages while cranking, you might have a low charged battery. If this happens let us know.

iwaterdave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I believe I have found the problem. When I push key in for the choke it functions with a strong pull,but today I notice the bottom carb may not have been closed all the way. it maybe can close another 1/16 of an inch. I could push it in a little bit. so I loosened the bolts that hold the choke device and moved it back a bit. Now with choke it coughs enough to pull fuel in and can start on the next key turn. Pictures would be included but the file size was too big.

Thanks everyone for your advice!