Manual for step by step shift/throttle linkage adjustment.

Icr242005

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone have (or tell me where to go to get) a manual for a 1989 force 50 that has step by step instructions on how to set up the shift linkage on this thing? Please

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Read the first 3 posts in this forum.
I believe FrankA made a post called a link and sinc.
​This covers a lot of models and yours can be done with his instructions.

​What's happening that you need to redo the linkage?

Icr242005

Seaman Apprentice
The guy I bought the boat from, retired business owner, bought this boat for a project. He put a new motor on it, completely redid the transom then he become ill and could not finish it. When I got the boat, the remote control was not mounted some of the bolts were not tight on the transom nor the motor, he just was not able to complete what he started. It needed a new water pump so when I dropped the lower end, the linkage was not tight and way out of adjustment. Did the best that I could to reassemble, went to the river, sometimes it would not engage in reverse and sometimes it would not engage and forward. I noticed that their was tons of slop in the linkage rod going to lower end. One again did the best that I could, now everything is good until 22mph or better and the dogs are coming disengaged. I'm trying to figure out the best step by step to set/check everything.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Take the shift cable off and shift by hand.
​If it still pops out at 22 then the dog/ gears need replaced or machined.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Have you checked on evilbay? That's where I found the factory service manuals for my Chrysler's.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Please share the info you got?
​Always good to see the answers to the problems.

Icr242005

Seaman Apprentice
Still no manual. The problem was cable slop. I tighten up on the play on the shift cable and hasn't jumped out yet.