BUHW vs BUHX 1989 Force 50

Icr242005

Seaman Apprentice
Which ones are better. I'm running BUHW and fouling out plug. Carb set good, air screw 1 1/8 new fuel pump diaphram, screen, straight gas. 50:1 ratio. Good compression. This boat runs perfect until the plugs start to act up. On open water it will run 29mph on a 16 foot fisher boat. Would running W instead of X make a difference?

Jiggz

Captain
The only difference between the "W" and the "X" is the gap of the anode from the cathode and material used. The '89-50HP calls for the BUHX plugs. The "W" is tungsten anode with 1.3mm gap while the "X" is nickel with 0.75mm gap. Personally, the "X" is almost a universal plug for all 2 cycle engine and works virtually for all sizes and models of 2 cycle engines.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
In addition to the difference in the spark plug gap, the BUHX plugs are a "Booster Gap" plug. The internal electrode inside the ceramic housing has a small gap in it. If you take an OHM meter and measure from the exposed center electrode to the spark plug wire connection, it will read "Open". This is done to insure that the spark energy is sufficient to jump the internal gap to fire the plugs. This technique was used in the early years of Capacitive Discharge ignition systems because sometimes the CD Modules would not consistently produce sufficient voltage to fire the plugs.

BUHW plugs are basically standad plugs. There is no internal gap in the electrode. If you measure resistance from the exposed center electrode to the spark plug wire connection, you will read continuity or a dead short.

If you use BUHW plugs in the early Prestolite ignition systems, you run the risk of not allowing maximum voltage to fire the plugs. It pretty much depends on your particular CD Modules as to whether or not the BUHW plugs work well. The components that make up the Prestolite CD modules are individual capacitors, resistors etc. so there is some variation in the performance of the module. The later model Mercury style Switch Box Thunder Bolt started using solid state integrated circuits. The mid 1990's the Mercury CDM style Thunder Bolt ignition systems went completely solid state. Both the Mercury style Thunder Bolt ignition systems had a faster rise time for the ignition voltage and were much more consistent than the older Prestolite ignition system so there was no need for a "Boost Gap" plug.

If the BUHW don't work well with your Prestolite ignition system, try the BUHX's. I have to say though, I know many folks that use the BUHW plugs with their Prestolite ignition system.

Last edited:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
From what I see in the manuals....not that they're always correct....there are two types of plugs listed. Early 1989 50HP "A" series motors used the L82C plugs. The later 1989 50HP "B" series motors used the surface gap (NGK BUHX) plugs.

It's strange when you look the ignition packs up on the CDI Electronics site for all 1989 50HP motors, it only shows the type used on the Prestolite ignition systems that use the surface gap plugs

Regardless, the BUHW plugs are not called for your motor. Look at the model number of your motor (if it's still visable). The last letter will tell you if it's an "A" series or "B" series.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The change wasn't on A models or B models, they both call for different plugs???.
The first 2 50hp in the parts diagrams are both B models and one calls for UL-18-V and the next calls for L-82-C

I guess only the engineers know for sure??

​Ondarvr might have something.
​If the motors not getting up to temp??
Then the plugs can foul quicker.

Icr242005

Seaman Apprentice
I'm lost. The parts manual I've been looking at says UL18V. Whoever had this before boat before put the "wrong"plug in it.
Model 507Y9B
Serial 1262

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
From the Model number it indicates that you have a "B" series motor. According to the manuals that I have, it should take the surface gap plugs. Although I have to say that these motors have been out of production for so long that some of the aftermarket manuals may not have correct info. I would try the BUHX plugs and see if that helps. If you have the sky blue coils and CD Module which is the Prestilote ignition, they typically run the BUHX plugs on the three and four cylinder motors.

If you're doing a lot of trolling or running at or near idle speed for extended periods, it will have a tendency to foul the plugs.

Icr242005

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the help. Someone put a BUHW in it. I had it out yesterday with the BUHX in it and ran a half tank, it ran a lot better. Didn't load up in a no wake zone, didn't sputter like it was before. If this fixed the problem, then I can go a little more on the "air" screw to make it run a little richer yet. Thanks. Hopefully this will fix the problem and help out someone in the future. Water temp is right at 130 degrees. Now onto the next problem lol.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The air screw: start at 1 1/2 turn out.
Motor warm, in the water.
Slowly turn the air screw in 1/8th a turn at a time.
​Wait 10 seconds between turns.(burns the fuel at the old setting).
​No changes? in another 1/8th.
Wait 10.
​Do this until it stumbles, kicks, backfires or stalls.
Then out 1/2 turn.
​Too far in can cause engine failure.,