HELP!!!....I want your timing values, all of them. create a master timing file

kjprag01

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone looking for a yay or wrong on what im reading. The engine the force 40 1992-94, the timing according to manual is 32btdc. im doing a static timing check. So I've got the flywheel turning by starting motor, the carb all the open, throttle all the way open, in forward gear, timing light set to 32 degrees, and im reading a perfect 0 as the fly turns.

You see my plan is to create a post that contains step by step, idiot proof guide to timing. Because I have never done timing i figure i can be the base line idiot. There is a lot of information on the how to, but a real lack of info on what numbers you should read under different conditions for which the engines will be utilzed. So i wanted to create the anyone can do it in the drive way kind of tutorial. (for ball park, its a new to me engine). Like this, Disconnect throttle control and fuel line, Pull the plugs, ground the plugs, engage forward gear, attach timing light to power source, attach pick up to plug one wire, Dial in X on timing light, place throttle in Wide open position (Carb Butterfly all the way open), Turn engine over with starter motor, take reading, shorten or lengthen timing rod, recheck, double check, get beer, large hammer, pop that antipsychotic, try again, have another cigarette, punch the baby, try again. punt the dog, you're almost there. One more time, Success!!!. Then have an active google doc, where people could send me their timing values and people could just look it up on that doc for the values they should be reading.

Year Make HP T BTDC X On Advance Timing light
92-94 Force 40 32 32

(Starter motor power) T@WOT T@Idle(throttle Closed)
0 ?

(Engine Running) T@Idle T@ Fast Idle
? ?

(Loaded On Water ) T@Idle T@WOT
? ?

I figure this is the real information people want, just before the first mental break down. Speaking of you wouldn't happen to know the ? All of the information per engine would be on one line in a spread sheet for apple win ios and droid. Its a dream, but im a dreamer.

Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain
That is correct assuming the timing light is attached to #1 cylinder plug wire. And the other way to do it is to use an inductive pick up timing light (old school) and you should see the timing mark align with the 32 BTDC marking on the flywheel.

kjprag01

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you very much for the confirmation. . . Now for the vacuum leak!

Jiggz

Captain
Unlike 4 cycle engines (old ones anyways), these two cycle motors do not depend on vacuum to advance timing. Instead, it is all links and mechanical linkage that actually advance or retard timing.

Now there is a little topic about, "vacuum" except it is not with engine timing nor is it about performance. Instead, it is more about positive pressure on the crankcase hence crankcase seals are important to make sure they can keep positive pressure in the crankcase cavity for proper operation.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF????you never touch the timing???
It probably didn't change.
It's not like a car that the timing can jump.
​The worst that can happen is the plastic pieces break and you'll have to replace.
Then a re-time is needed.
Or the trigger goes bad.