Need input about a 1996 Force 120hp by Mercury...

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking to repower my 1995 17' Nitro Bass boat. Found a 1996 120hp Force. I've never owned or ran one before, how do they compare to mercs and omcs of the same hp? What are things to look for that might have been issues with this model if any?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF??? they've been maintained???

They run good.
The fuel usage is more (on all brands)compared to any fuel injected motor.
​The Force were said to have the best weight to power ratio of any outboard made that year.

Part are readily available and the motors fairly straightforward and easy to work on.
​The 96: the block is about the only thing Force the rest is Mercury .

​Make sure it's the same length.
They make 2 sizes???

​LOTS of people don't like Force. I do.
​Lots of people don't like Chevy and drive Fords.
​They ALL use the same technology.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I've owned them, some ran well.

Some people love them just because others don't. The difference is Ford and Chevy are still in business making cars and trucks, Force is long gone, better than buying an old Fiat though.

The value is low, so if you do get it, don't pay much for it.

Last edited:

blackd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The lower unit on that year Mercury & Force is slightly weaker than the later models, 3 jaw Pawl vs 6 jaw. Ignition is a Merc, so parts are available. Carburetors are super simple to work on as is the remaining power head parts. Was it run in salt water or Fresh. That makes a difference on any motor. Lotsa parts still available. Due to demand price should be lower than most name brand motors of similar condition, use and age.

Last edited:

dfrants

Petty Officer 1st Class
found a "walleye and bass boats" magazine article where they compared 4 cylinder motors. The Force 120 dyno tested at 108hp. the rest of the results were good.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Don't get overly excited about it, there are far better motors out there with decades newer technology of the same age. How much do they want for it?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
That's probably high for 20 year old discontinued, not that highly rated motor. You may be able to get him down quite a bit more.

​Was it ever in saltwater?

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
I like Force, easy to work on. Then again I also like Chevy's, also easy to work on. From what I've read, Mercury fazed out the force as it was hurting the Mercury sales, Merc OB were more bucks.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
They weren't hurting Merc sales, the only boats that used them were brands owned by the parent company of both Force/Merc and the Boat brand, like Bayliner, the reason was to have absolutely the lowest price point boat there was.

​It was ancient technology and nobody bought them except when they were packaged with an entry level boat, the typical buyer had no clue as to the quality of the boat or motor.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If it's a freshwater and the compression is good??
1500 isn't that bad.
​Offer him a 1000 and see if he bites.