1978 Chrysler 35hp Shift Linkage

JDCam

Cadet
Hello,
I recently inherited a small boat with a 1978 Chrysler 35hp. The engine runs well, but I am having difficulty with the gear shift.
I have disconnected the throttle and gear cables and 'think' I have narrowed down the problem..Forgive me. I do not know all the proper names of the parts.

On the engine there is a rotating plate that connects the shift cable to the shift rod. on this plate there are 3 holes and a spring loaded ball to 'click' into each gear. from neutral, I need to pass the forward hole considerably before it clicks into gear. for reverse, the gear is engaged much before the hole is reached. It is like I need to rotate this plate 1/4 inch counter clockwise to line up properly.

From reading other posts, it sounds like I can adjust the shift rod to correct this. The rod might be two pieces with an adjustable coupler. If I am on the right track, can some tell me what's involved in making this adjustment? How accessible is this coupler?

All feedback is appreciated.
Cam

Nordin

Commander
To adjust the rod you must remove the lower leg cowl because the coupler is behind the cowl.

There are six bolts that holds the cowl to the plate at the steering swivel tube just back of the transom clamps.
Adjusting the rod can be a pita because there is really no space to get to the coupler with tools.

If I do not remember wrong there are 3/8 and 7/16 size for the rod.

When you adjust the rod, turn it 1/4 -1/2 turn then check, because the rod has a large thread increase.

JDCam

Cadet
Thanks Nordin.
I did purchase the original service manual but it is not very descriptive. Question. Is this adjustment appropriate to do while the boat is in the water and engine tilted?

Nordin

Commander
JD, yes you can/shall do it in water but you do not need to tilt the engine.
It is preferable to do the adjustment in water because then you can try the shifting and the engine how it acts.

If you adjust to much either forward or reverse gear, it can slip/jump out of gear or even one of them do not engage at all.

As I mention the thread is steep soo adjust in small steps.

Pushing the rod downwards is forward gear and up reverse.

BTW I recently adjusted my youngest sons 25Hp Chrysler 1973 (very similar shift rod as yours) because it sometimes jumped put of forward for a second in load with a "bonk" sound.
I turned the adjust nut about 1/2 turn and forward worked just fine BUT it could not go into reverse.
I then adjusted the nut back about 1/4 of a turn and "voila" worked perfect after that.

JDCam

Cadet
I appreciate your help Nordin. I am very new to outboard repairs.
I will give it a try this weekend, and report back how it goes

JDCam

Cadet
I am at the boat now. I didn't get very far before problems. I removed the 6 bolts and was able to easily remove the front half of the cover. I can just see the adjusting nut but the back half of the cover prevents me from accessing it. I dont see how to get the back half off without major dismantle. Should I need to? Will post a photo

JDCam

Cadet
No Title

Photo of rear half of cover blocking the adjusting nut

Attachments

• photo274100.png
    photo274100.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Nordin

Commander
Yes thas is what I mention "it can be a PITA".
It was a couple of years when I adjust a 30-35Hp BUT I think I did it without removing the plate/cover.

JDCam

Cadet
I got it.. I had to remove the two pieces that make up the bottom of the steering linkage. I could then lift the engine a few inches and slide the rear plate out.i reattached the steering so I could run the boat. I have made adjustments to the shjft and so far so good. If it still good in a day or two I will reinstall the front and back cover.

Nordin

Commander
Okey you went that way and yes it is the right way.
It could be a chance of a challenge because you may snap the bolts if the engine been in salt water.

I was going to suggest it but I changed my mind.

The bolts are stainless steel and together with alu alloy and salt water they can be a PITA to unscrew.
They kind of corrode and will stick like they are welded.

Nice you got through with it and yes run it for a time before you asseble the cover again.

Last edited: