1994 Force (by Mercury) 120 trim and tilt replacement lines

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought a 1994 Bayliner 185 Capri with a Force 12 OB in excellent condition in 2014 for a great price knowing the trim and tilt didn't work. I've used it without the trim and tilt since but am finally getting around to wanting to repair it. It appears all that is really wrong is the hydraulic lines were disconnected for some reason, maybe got damaged and messed up, in fact 3 out of 4 are missing. I can hear the pump running fine off the switch on the throttle. I see other posts that say the replacement hydraulic lines are no longer available but there are some on Ebay I could buy and use. I also heard that OB motor had as many as 4 different trim/tilt systems in 1994. I'm looking for advice/insight on repairing this. What do I do for a practical approach to repair this?

Jiggz

Captain
Post a pic of what you got including all the major parts, i.e. trim, tilt, motor and pump unit. And we'll start from there.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I think the T@T 85-95 used the same hyd. lines.
​The pump made a few changes but the trim tilt lines and cylinders were the same.
You might have 2 systems not 4.
​Like Jiggz requested, PICS??

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Hers's the pics. Let me know what you think. Your help is appreciated!

Attachments

• photo273315.jpg
    photo273315.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo273316.jpg
    photo273316.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo273317.jpg
    photo273317.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo273318.jpg
    photo273318.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 0

Jiggz

Captain
No Title

You are right. Hydraulic lines for your system, brand new wise are obsolete. But by goggling the part numbers as shown you should be able to locate used one easily. Compare if the below pics matches your system. If not then use the next one below it.

Attachments

• photo273338.jpg
    photo273338.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 0

Jiggz

Captain
No Title

And this is the other model with different part numbers for hydraulic lines.

Attachments

• photo273339.jpg
    photo273339.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 0

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Jiggz. I'll be checking which one it is. They look almost identical tho? Anything I'm not seeing?

Jiggz

Captain
Actually, both systems are identical except for the electrical system. Pay attention to the number of relays and connections. Personally, I believe the hyd lines are all similar though.

ggundersen3

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK Thanks. So I may be in luck. I believe I found the correct 4 hydraulic lines. Thanks for the list of part #'s. When UPS delivers them, I'll be back in touch. Question on installing them here. Provided they are the correct ones. Do i just carefully install them and fill the resevoir with fluid? What kind of fluid? Someone said ATF(transmission fluid) works? Do I need to bleed the system? Clean out the system? (lines, pump, cylinders etc?) Lake water may have gotten into valve body etc.
Looking for help on making this installation go correctly and getting the system up and running finally.

Jiggz

Captain
You might want to clean up the valve body first. No need to disassemble it down to balls and springs. Just dismount if from the motor and make sure the center connection for the pump still rotates freely and generally clean. As for the line connections, be very careful as the connections are all aluminum and easily gets cross threaded.

The trick to connecting lines is to get both ends started first before starting to tighten. As for fluid, there's actually a T&T fluid you can buy even at Wally World. System is self bleeding by running it up and down for multiple times. Thereafter, you need to do a leak down test (see sticky post) and find out if the system is working properly or leaking down.