Mounting Starter on 85 HP Chrysler

Vorden72

Cadet
I have removed and remounted two starters on my 1972 motor with difficulty. The two openings in the collar housing for the starter mounting bolt/pins are threaded which means that instead of simply fully assembling the starter and sliding the bolts through the housing openings and tightening with washers and nuts I have to place the starter components up underneath the housing and then start and turn each bolt through the entire housing and when tight add washers and nuts.

Is this the normal method of mounting the starter? It seems to me that the preferred method would be to fully assemble the starter slide the protruding bolts through the housing and tighten with nuts and washers.

Also noticed that the thread on different starters bolts varies.....making the threaded housing openings more problematic. Additional question relates to supporting lower bracket. Is that essential since my motor does not have one.

Look forward to reading your comments.

Nordin

Commander
I have replaced a couple of starters at engineblocks which has been off from middleg and also at engines with the block mounted on the leg.
Yes you have to thread the bolts throug the bracket collar and fasten the nuts with washers.

The support lower bracket is essential and you have to have it.
The starter must be well fasten and in right vertical place to the flywheel. It is critial to the work for the starter
If you do not mount the lower support there are a great risk that the starter bendix will bend to the flywheel and you will cook the starter.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
They used a few different types of starters on the early Chryslers.
How about a few pics of the starter and the area it mounts??

Vorden72

Cadet
Thanks for comments on your experience with starter.

Plan to go out to work on motor tomorrow and will take some pics of starter and how it is fastened.

Nordin

Commander
I do not se the lower mouning bracket for the starter in the pic.

I would suggest you to put it in, it gives you a stabil mount of the starter.
It has an purpose from the factory. if not it would not be there.

If you do not have the lower bracket, check out Ebay and buy one.