force 125 1989 full throttle timing

slx12001

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm working on a 1989 force 125 hp. I have static timing at 28 degrees wot. The issue (maby) is when I back off the throttle a fraction the trigger actually moves further advanced then wot. It's like it goes to full advance then comes back a degree or 2 at wot. I have not tested the static timing at this point a hair before wot but I would imagine it will be close to 30 degrees static?. You can also feel about 100 rpm's on the water just bringing the throttle back a hair in this area. Link and sinc otherwise is spot on. The space between the threads is about 1/2" on the timing link. My question is the timing linear to full throttle or does it retard slightly at full wot due to the linkage? I may be able to post a video if I'm not explaining well.

Jiggz

Captain
I can see your point about the timing rod going at its furthest point and then retracting back due to overtravel of the timing tower. You will need to extend the timing rod so it's at its fullest travel with the carbs' throttle in full horizontal. Basically the travel of the timing tower is limited by the cam advancer and roller. Which means you might have to adjust the rod with two clevis connected to the cam to achieve this.

slx12001

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All good now. Simply lengthened the timing link to go full advance then did static again to 28 degrees. Thanks for the replies.

Jiggz

Captain
Great. Just make sure the throttles are in full horizontal at WOT setting of the throttle handle.