Force 85 L-Drive sometimes have no ignition during cranking

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Force 85 hp L-Drive Model 85LD9C 3 cylinders, The ones whit 2 blue CDI boxes and 3 coils

​Nerver stop by itself, but when you crank not always have ignition .............Always crank but sometimes you need to crank few times and now the ignition come and sudently it's start ............Run well , no problem until you stop and try to start ...........

​First thinking may bee the key switch not always alowing ignition at "start" position, so i disconect black/yellow wires ( the one for the key switch and the safety switch) at the jonction on the engine, and sameting.

​Check whit timing light, not fire at any of the 3 cylinders during cranking, and sudently after few seconds of cranking /or try , the ignition come and the engine start and run well.

Any ideas ?

​I whill check stator whit my ohmete/DVAr,but when engin running it's runing good, even at low rpm........And during cranking, someting have ignition, someting not......

​This engine have goob battery and good starter,i dont, think it,s not a low cranking related problem because it's crank very well

Thank you !

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like a bad connection somewhere??
A bad ground?
​Start at the kill switch and the fuse block under the dash. Not all Forces had a fuse in the block yours might?
Clean/ test all the contacts.
Then the grounds on the electrical by the packs.

It could also be the stator?? maybe the rectifier?

​outboardignitiondotcom has test procedures.

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Changed the stator, problem solved

Now it's start just touching the switch.