Shifting problem on 1969 Chrysler 105

Bobbywolf

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a new to me (but not new at all, lol), 69 105 chrysler, that won't go into reverse. At first I thought it was a cable issue, but by disconnecting the cable and moving the linkage by hand, I can see it is binding going into reverse. It does go into reverse if I put enough force on it, but it just barely feels like it is catching..

So, I gather I need to drop the lower unit and see what is binding up. I have a service manual on the way, but it is backordered several weeks, so I'm hoping to get some assistance in the meantime.

I gather that I need to pull the 6 obvious bolts, and then the long snout bolt. But how do I disconnect up top? Is it simply the large nylock nut on top of the linkage? Or do I remove the lower adjusting nut as well (and lose my adjustment).

Thanks for any assistance.

Edit: I'm a dumbass, and I discovered the pin holding the shift linkage together part way down.

More problems though, the 2 hex cap bolts under the prop are seized, badly. The 6 holding the LU on were bad, but these are worse. Im soaking them overnight with penetrating oil to see if it helps.

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You might need heat and LOTS of it??
The shift rod is it moving free?
Sometimes the seal seizes and makes the rod hard to move??
That seals only $4.50
The parts are still available if you bugger something.

​Jus take it slow and heat, WD and tap with a hammer, repeat!!

Bobbywolf

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well, I went and did it. Over the course of 2 days of penetrating fluid, heating and shocking with a hammer, I eventually twisted both of them off... wonderful.

Well, I guess I'm tearing this down to the very bottom so i can take the bottom housing to a machine shop to get these out. My good deal is becoming less good lol.