1989 FORCE 125 Hose under carbs

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,
I have two carbs and they have a hose that runs vertical between them and links them together, for fuel. directly in line with that underneath my lower carburetor, there is a nipple for another hose. is that just for overflow?
I am under the impression that my mail fuel line from the tank needs to plug into the plastic fule pump on the side of the motor, where it shows a directional arrow and says filter.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The hose between the carbs is an equalizer hose.
The fitting is for fuel recirculation.
The main fuel line is hooked to the inlet on the pump.

​I have a 125 out back. I'll look for the hose routing and try to take a pic??(raining right now)

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

​I have a 125 out back. I'll look for the hose routing and try to take a pic??(raining right now)

THANK YOU.
I beleive the only one in question is the one directly under inline with the equalizer hose.

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Any Idea where that hose needs to go?

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That hose in the pic is the feed hose from the pump.

What? you mean that goes from the bottom nipple on the pump down to that spot? anyone have a diagram?

I beleive this is an impulse line like a chainsaw.... please if anyone has a diagram of this please let me know.. i beleive this goes back to the pump.

Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain
No Title

attach10450770.jpg Now I understand what you meant by "Impulse line". NO . . . that is the fuel hose from the fuel pump outlet. The other end of that hose should be connected to the fuel pump outlet. On the fuel pump, the inlet hose connects to the sediment bowl (see pics) while the outlet hose connects to the body. Your motor should have the dual stage fuel pump as shown.

Attachments

• photo272141.jpg
    photo272141.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 0

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Now I understand what you meant by "Impulse line". NO . . . that is the fuel hose from the fuel pump outlet. The other end of that hose should be connected to the fuel pump outlet. On the fuel pump, the inlet hose connects to the sediment bowl (see pics) while the outlet hose connects to the body. Your motor should have the dual stage fuel pump as shown.

so if i pump the primer bulb over and over should fuel flow from the pump outlet, or does the motor need to be running?

Jiggz

Captain
Yes, if you squeeze the primer bulb, assuming all connections are tight and the primer bulb is working properly and there is fuel in the fuel tank, and the fuel pump diaphragm is not damaged or torn,fuel should flow to the fuel pump outlet.

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes, if you squeeze the primer bulb, assuming all connections are tight and the primer bulb is working properly and there is fuel in the fuel tank, and the fuel pump diaphragm is not damaged or torn,fuel should flow to the fuel pump outlet.

well tha'ts my problem!!!!! I wonder if the bad fuel pump caused a lean condition and thats what killed that one cylinder.

Jiggz

Captain
Maybe it's time to open and inspect to ultimately see what the root cause of the problem is.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
What cyl. is the problem?
#3 ?? that cyl runs the pump.
​The diaphragm goes bad and pumps excess fuel into that cyl. and causes the cyl. to misfire and run bad.

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What cyl. is the problem?
#3 ?? that cyl runs the pump.
​The diaphragm goes bad and pumps excess fuel into that cyl. and causes the cyl. to misfire and run bad.

well no cyl's have a problem anymore, i rebuilt the engine. I am just trying to get it running. I have fuel entering the engine from the small hose from the pump to the engine block, but no fuel in the hose from the pump to the carbs.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No Title

These are the pics from the 125 I have in the back yard.
​The "impulse tube" is shown here it connects.
​The impulse tube picks up unburned fuel and recirculates it.

The pump diaphragm operates from a hole in the back of the pump.

Attachments

• photo272594.jpg
    photo272594.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo272595.jpg
    photo272595.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 0

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
These are the pics from the 125 I have in the back yard.
​The "impulse tube" is shown here it connects.
​The impulse tube picks up unburned fuel and recirculates it.

The pump diaphragm operates from a hole in the back of the pump.

I got the gaskets and new diaphragm last night now the pump squirts gas as it should when the primer bulb is pumped.
the old diaphragm was not ripped, but apeared to be streched out and fit looser than the new one did.
hoping to put the carbs back on tonight.

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You guys have been an amazing help!!!
So I put the carbs back on and all back together, and the boat started and idled great, when i pulled the gear lever out and forward without shifting, or when i bypassed the shift safety switch with a wire in gear it started good too. But if i try to just start it in neutral it will no start. so what adjustment do you guys think i am missing?

Jiggz

Captain
Is your neutral switch inside the engine cowl? If so, you can adjust it to make sure it is close when in neutral. There are two mounting screws you can loosen to make the adjustment. If your neutral switch is in the throttle control, you will have to dismount the control first before you can access the switch.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Most Forces/ Chryslers had the N-safety switch on the shift linkage.
Everyone else has it in the shifter.

It's an easy adjustment.

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Most Forces/ Chryslers had the N-safety switch on the shift linkage.
Everyone else has it in the shifter.

It's an easy adjustment.

Yes its under the cowl on the linkage, I thought it looked like it was adjusted correctly though.when i started it in gear i just bypassed it.
It was getting dark when i was messing around, i might have just had the horn switch on but when i turned the key in the on position last the horn sounded. is this a safty feature if the N safty switch is not in the correct position?

so are you saying that to start the boat i should have the throttle lever pulled out and all te way forward, once it starts i can slide it back to netural?

Yo know.... I just thought, it can't be the safty switch, because it turnes over in neutral, it just wont start.. its like it can't get enough fule in neutral.

Last edited: