Tilt/Trim Internal Leak?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You don't need the owners manual.
But the service manual YES.
​That's the list price for factory books.
I don't know hat mercury charges??

Nordin

Commander
There are a factory service manual covering 85/90 and 125Hp. I have it, do not know if it goes through 1989 models or later.
It has an OB number, but I am on holiday right know soo I can not check the OB number.

But keep an eye on Ebay, they will come up now and then.

Derrick Fronckowiak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nordin, that's good to know. I was wondering if the factory manuals had a specific model manual or if they had a range of models/horsepower sizes contained within the same manual. That answered that question. I guess when the variation between one engine size and the next is nearly the same (except for engine displacement obviously and a few other minor things) they might combine them into the same manual. Thanks. Sounds like I'm going to have to "pay the piper" and bite it in the wallet. Factory manuals (for anything) are just plain expensive.

Nordin

Commander
Yes they usually covers a range of Hp models and Chrysler/Force engines are very similar to each other in range.
Just as you mention the displacement and numbers of cylinders, then the bore and stroke can also be the same.

If you keep an eye at Ebay you maybe can buy factory manuals at half the list price.

Derrick Fronckowiak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
SkiDad, Jiggs and JerryJerry, I got those O-ring (the real little ones) for the trim/tilt valve to replace on those two little check valves inside. Works great. Trim/Tilt runs like a scalded dog!! Holds position and won't leak down. Those troubleshooting instructions you wrote are right on the money. For all seals and everything I fixed the whole deal for about $25 and that was only because I needed to get a pair of those plastic trim fastener removal pliers to take the spools apart with. Otherwise I spent less than $5 on all the seals. Oh by the way, I have spare seals that go on the check valves (that cause the leak down). They are very cheap, so if someone else on the forum has a trim/tilt leak down issue I'll throw a few in an envelope and mail them to them. I'll never use them all.

Jiggz

Captain
Absolutely great! The panel clip pliers are optional but highly recommended. For if you gouge the spool valve it will cost more to replace them than to use a panel clip pliers. And yes, the entire cost of just replacing the check valve o ring is more or least less than $10 in all.