1994 90HP force

bkhealey

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone, Replaced my lower unit on my outboard so just tried to start it for the first time since sept and it started to a turn over just a little. But now it's just dead. The battery is a Cabela ATM and the charger shows it's at 97%. Clean all the cables and terminals good. But just dead. it has a kill switch but I don't think that's its bad. Can a battery read 97% but maybe have no amps to start it? like I said it seems to start to crank just a few turns then that was it. Or maybe the Cylinoid?

Thanks!

Brian

Little Richard

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Take out the plugs, ground your spark plug wires and see if it will turn over without all that compression. If it turns over put them back in and use your voltmeter to do a voltage drop test to your starter. Take your battery to autozone and have them test it for free

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Test light???
Test the ignition system as you turn the key.
Test light on the 3 posts of the solenoid.?
​Test light on the starter?

Do a compression test?
​Low compression on 1 cyl. can cause this.
Do a spark test?
Pull the starter and check the contacts?

Check the gear oil for water/rust/chunks of metal?
​The bearings can seize and lock up the motor??

Since it's a "new" outdrive?? it could be bad??

bkhealey

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys, will get on these this weekend. The motor was rebuilt 2 years ago. Bored, new heads put in. I replaced the starter last year. But yes the lower unit is used so who knows, maybe it's bad. I will take my volt meter out this weekend.