55hp Chrysler hard to start

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So my saga continues with my 1973ish 55hp. I had to file some points to get spark. Set them to .020. Spark was good. Motor fired up and didn't sound great. But it had been sitting for about 5-10yrs. Pulled the carb bowl and saw some sediment. No big deal. Pulled the carb and ordered a rebuild kit. Here starts my woes/drinking. I broke the ear off for the float pin. I luckily had a full 1969 55hp parts motor. So I cleaned and rebuilt that carb. I had to drill and tap the 1973 to move the choke and change the fuel fitting to the larger 5/16ths. The carbs have some differences in butterflies, but otherwise identical. I cannot get it to start. The plugs visably have a little fuel. Not quite like they are fouling. My fuel filter is always empty, like it's pulling fuel. So I doubt the fuel pump diaphragm is worn too much to let it at least fire and idle. I've tried advancing the throttle all the way with the choke closed. It's hot here in Oklahoma, so "cold start" isn't really a problem right now. I have the air screw turned out 1 1/16- 1 1/12 turns. I see smoke, but no fire. Is the 69 carb really that much different from the 1973?

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Quick update. It started and ran for about a minute or two. The motor sounded smooth, but then started acting like it was running out of fuel. It stumbled and then died. I cannot get it to restart. I moved the air needle in to 1 turn from seated. I think I'm missing something in the carb.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Have you tried to start it by using a mix of fuel / oil with a spray bottle? Sounds like a fuel pump. JMO.

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I haven't. I baby the throttle. The garbage can full of water looks like it's more full of oil. I'll see if NAPA can get me a rebuild kit by the weekend. At least I can see the impeller works. It's spraying water/oil all over my driveway! Lol.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
1973?? Any tags in the front bottom cover?

The cold start and choke give an extra burst of fuel to the cylinder.
​Choke working?

Does the squeezie get hard when pumping?
The air screw might need to be out as much as 2 turns??

The low speed jet is it clear?
​Pics of the "new" carb?
​Does the bowl screw have #s stamped on it?
Float adjusted right?

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm pretty sure it's a 1973, or at least that's what the serial # comes back as. The parts motor comes up as a 1969. Choke works with a very quick snap. I had to move the choke to the same location as on the 1969, which is under the carb. I drilled and tapped the spot and screwed it down. The primer bulb and 5/16 fuel line is new. It gets hard. I have a cheapo clear fuel filter inline between the primer and the fuel pump. Gas is ethanol free and mixed 50:1 with tc3. I used the 1973 needle valve and float. I figured since it ran with that setting, I shouldn't have a problem. The needle valve was all metal and still had a nice point on top. It was parallel with the carb inverted when I put it in the 1969 carb. There was one thing about the 69 that was different. It had a vent or something vertical in the middle behind the throat. When I took it to my parts washer at work and pushed some cleaner through it, it was clear. I didn't attempt to disassemble any further. I haven't tried turning the low speed air needle back 2 full turns. I will today. I will get a pic or two as well. I do have a lot of oil coming out the exhaust. But I assumed it was normal.

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo268983.JPG
    photo268983.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo268984.JPG
    photo268984.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo268985.JPG
    photo268985.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Was the jet in the center post of the 69 carb or is it in the bowl screw?
The seat that the solid needle goes into.
​Is it open? sometimes they smoosh over and clog.
The needle the same as the other?

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I couldn't get the Jet out of the center of the carb. It had a vent line of some sort through the middle. You can see it in the first pic with the choke open. The seat for the float is new. It came with a float valve that had a rubber tip. I didn't use it since the one I had was all metal and looked good. I don't think it's a float issue. When I pulled the plugs last night again to see if they were wet(fouled) I could easily wipe the little bit of fuel off the top with my finger. Hardly enough to see on a rag. Do you think by having the slow speed needle only out 1 - 1 1/2 turns not letting it get rich enough to start?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The difference in needles??
The carb you used what type of seat?
The seat with the rubber in it needs the solid needle.
The seat with no rubber needs the rubber tipped needle.
​The needles might be different lengths??
If your using a seat that needs the rubber tip and you have a solid tip in there? it allows fuel past.
​You can be flooding the carb.

eclipseturbors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know for a fact I used a new seat with an older float valve. I will swap the old seat from the 1969 back in it. It did not have any rubber in it. Both seat and needle looked good and the needle moved freely.