what was this supposed to be?

kjprag01

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, here is the score. I built an 18ft wooden boat, ply and frame method, and finally, there was a reasonably priced outboard engine, controls, and wheel. My plan is to learn this enigma known as an outboard engine from the top down. I have secured an outboard repair manual and am enthusiastically studying the manual and forum, before i go off posting questions that are clearly explained in the manual and previous posts. I am looking for an owners manual and have yet to find one. Bear with me on this but the forum rules say i have to make 3 posts prior to being able to post pictures.

kjprag01

Seaman Apprentice
as best as i can figure out, the engine is a Force 40hp 2 stroke between 1992-1994 serial number partial is 0E02????. Also, i am pretty mechanically savvy and have pretty much every tool needed to over haul if necessary, but my experience is automobiles, motorcycles, and other small engines, but this will be my first outboard. I assume there are some obvious replacement parts: plugs, wires, fuel filter, lower unit oil, impeller and gasket, check for broken wires, and fuel lines. WHile some obvious maintenance procedures need to be preformed, lube the gear for the starter, clean the carb, check the needle, maybe a new solenoid.

kjprag01

Seaman Apprentice
But my question is what was this little sorta installed after market doo-dad? The best i can figure it is threaded into the top center of the header and schmoood all up with plumbers putty. It looks like a half-!@#$@Q attempt to install a sensor of some sort, my best guess is a second temp sensor or a water pressure sensor? But i am not for sure. I would like to put a tell-tale and a water pressure sensor in while ive got her on the operating table anyway. pictures up next.

kjprag01

Seaman Apprentice
Got me?.JPG and finally there it is. . . there is a wire coming off of the top threads but im sure its going to be an amateurs attempt at tapping, installation, and im sure they were yelling its got to be a wiring harness. I already see the steam flowing from the leaks and can tell they used the age old time tested technique of measuring torque by how the edges are rounded right over. I assume i am going to have to drill it, tap it, and plug it, well just until i have a solid idea of how to install the tell tale and water pressure sensor. . . But first i want it to turn over. . . when i get a chance i am going to post a picture of the harness, that is special, where they thought they were going to put that mess i will never know.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Probably a temp gauge or a pressure gauge??
​That spot is usually used for a telltale.