Force 150 -common problems or concerns

arriva2001

Seaman
Hi
I've had a 1994 Force 150 since 1994 when it was new. I've taken good care of it, always serviced and winterized, etc. my question is why did Force stop producing this motor in 1994 when they were in operation until 1999? It appears the largest they made after 1994 was a four cylinder 120 hp.

Were these motors notorious for having problems or was there a design flaw that made them stop making them? Was the three carb/five cylinder design difficult to produce or service or something?

Now that this motor is getting up in years, I'm wondering if it needs any EXTRA TLC to keep running like a top for the next 20 years. What should I do or look out for in a 150 model? Any common things to worry about?

Or is that a wild pipe dream that it will keep on ticking for many more years?!?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Read your history on Brunswick, Bayliner, force, and Mercury. Brunswick Corporation purchased Bayliner in 1988, and from 1990 to 95 slowly transition the product over to Mercury components. That is why in 1994 your 150 horse cease being around in 1995

arriva2001

Seaman
Yeah, I have read up on that Brunswick transition, but I was wondering specifically about the 150. Did they "kill" it because they wanted customers to buy the merc 150? If so, why didn't they kill off all the other models in 1995? They continued (from my knowledge) producing All or most all other models except the 150 until 1999. So that had me wondering what's so different about that one?

I also had a dealer once say they were surprised to see it still running. Like they had lots of experience and Never saw one that worked or something.

That being said, there is still a dealer in Big Springs Nebraska who still rebuilds the old Forces and sells them with a one year warranty. At one time they were one of the largest Chrydler/Force dealers supposedly. So they appear to still hold them in high regard. They typically always have at least one 150 in stock. Bizarre for a 27 year old engine.

arriva2001

Seaman
Also I know about the California Air Resources Board that ultimately killed off the simpler carbureted two strokesbecause they were polluters....but wondering if anyone knows why the 150 was eliminated early and if it's related to performance or service issues? And things to watch for or extra maintenance I should focus on for an aging 150.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The force line was originally rebadged chryslers, then they became the entry level low-end versions of mercury. It was not cost effective to have the complexity of two engine lines running, so for the sake of sanity and making a profit, force was axed.

Your motor was designed and built with planned obsolescence in mind and had a 15 year design life. So yeah, not surprised that the marina was surprised its still running

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF?? you take care of it???
It should last another 20.
Things like changing the gear oil and keeping the fuel full and filters clean and the grease fresh.
Some Forces had/have(mine) a corrosion problem.
​Salt water can be hard on it?

WD-40 spray is good for everything on your motor.
Spray it.

​Don't be afraid to clean the block and use lube on the moving parts.

arriva2001

Seaman
thanks for the advice. I just bought a carburetor and fuel pump 'rebuild kit.' Any link to good resources on how to tackle these jobs? I have a factory service manual and plan to just follow the steps. Anything to watch for?