After Break-In

72k5mike

Cadet
Hey all,

I am completing the 10 hours of break in on my 1995 Force 90hp and was wondering if there is anything that will need to be done before I run 50:1?

I have the timing set to 30* instead of 32*, which I will leave alone. The boat is running like a champ with the 25:1.

Will I have to readjust the carbs for the 50:1?

Jiggz

Captain
No adjustments required except maybe for the required re-torquing of the head bolts if you actually replaced the head gasket. And maybe inspecting the spark plugs to make sure it's not fouled.

72k5mike

Cadet
I wanted to post an update on this. I figure I had about 7 gallons of 25:1 and I added 15 gallons of 50:1. I figure I'm running somewhere around 40:1 for now. The engine ran a little rougher than before so I readjusted the carbs a little.

When you adjust your carbs, is there a lot of adjustment in the screws, maybe a 1/4 turn between rich and lean? Too rich or too lean seems like the thickness of a screwdriver turn, nowhere near a 1/4 turn. Does it sound like something's wrong?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
I usually do it in 1/8 turn increments. Wait a minute or two and see how the motor acts before you continue to make adjustments.

Make sure you clean the plugs up good before you start making adjustments. The additional oil at 25:1 will sometimes deposit more than normal amount of carbon on the plugs. I would wait until you have a true 50:1 ratio before spending too much time adjusting anything.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You need to make sure it's not sucking air somewhere??

Start it up, spray starting fluid around the intake and the side where the fuel pump is located.

​If spraying causes the motor to change in any way then it's sucking air.
Figure out where?? gasket, loose screw/nut?

Start at 1 and 1/2 turn out on all the air screws..
​Running and in the water and in gear.
Then turn the top screw in 1/8th of a turn.
Wait 10 seconds for the fuel/air mix to burn from the old setting.
​Then repeat until the motor bucks , kicks, stutters.
Then turn it back out 1/2 turn.
Repeat this on all the cyl.
​Make sure you wait the 10seconds between adjustments.

​Final idle rpms. in gear 750-800