1989 Force outboard 85hp water circulation problems

jbatts

Cadet
1989 force outboard 85 hp is peeing while at idle speeds, peeing while in neutral at higher rpm's, but NOT peeing when on a plane and just prior to getting up on a plane.... is this normal? Read something about a poppet valve but I don't think this motor has one. Any suggestions?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
If you are referring to the water coming out of the two holes on the back of the motor just below the lower cowling, those are not pee holes that are connected to the water pump. Those are exhaust back pressure relief holes. What you are seeing is normal.

jbatts

Cadet
OK this makes a little more sense because typically I don't have a strong flow coming out of that unless I rev the motor up. So how am I supposed to know if I am getting good flow through the engine if there is no stream to indicate that?

Jiggz

Captain
Unfortunately, with these Force motors, there is no way to tell cooling water flow unless you do some mods. Search the forum for tell tale mods.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Top of the head is a shiny screw.
Gonna be hard to get it out.
But put in an elbow and a hose running through the bottom cowl.
Smaller the better.
That's how to install a pee tube.

jbatts

Cadet
Thanks to everyone for the info. New to posting. Long time follower. This is a great forum!