Newbie here. Chrysler and Force use the same wiring and controlls?

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
I am a newbie, sorry. I removed a 1978 Chrysler 85 hp outboard and installed a 1987 Force 85 hp. Are they wired up the same, Can I use the Chrysler harness? Please help!

Nordin

Commander
Yes, you can use the Chrysler harness BUT the color code is different at the engines AND if the Chrysler had distributor you have to wire differnt to the Force.
Take a look at maxrules they have diagram of both engines and crossreferens the wires for each engines.

Nordin

Commander
Must recant a bit. Maxrules do not have the diagram for the 85Hp Force BUT they have for the 125Hp and it is very similar with the harness.
The 125Hp is a 4 cyl. engine and the 85Hp a 3 cyl.
Only different is the wiring for the ignition system. It has another trigger with 4 outputs instead of three.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you for your help. I will try and find "Maxrules" on here.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Hello Nordin,
I am not much good with wiring schematics. On the Chrysler power head terminal block is as follows, Start - Yellow wire. Generator - Purple wire. Tachometer - White wire. Choke - Green wire. Heat - Orange wire. Battery+ - Red wire. Ignition - Blue wire. Ground - Black wire.

On the Force Power head The wiring terminal block is as follows, Start - Yellow wire. Tachometer - Purple wire. Magneto - White wire. ( 2 wires are connected on this, on the engine side.) Choke - Green wire. Heat - Orange wire. Battery+ - Red wire. Magneto Blue wire (no wire is on the engine side connected but has a terminal buss (strap) crossing over to the ground terminal . Ground - Black wire.

I am trying to use the factory Chrysler wiring harness that is still hooked up to the gauges in the boat, To the newer Force outboard. Any help from you good people will be much appreciated! Thank you.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Does anyone know how to wire this up? The old outboard was a Chrysler, the newer outboard is a Force. both are 85 hp. Any help will be much appreciated.

Nordin

Commander
Your 1978 85Hp Chrysler have a battery CD ignition system from Motorola with a belt driven distributor. It use the battery to charge the CD box.

The 85Hp has magneto CDI ignition from Prestolite that use magnets in the flywheel to charge the CDI box.

I will try to guide through to hook up wires.
The different is in the stop circuit and you have to rewire your keyswitch.

Force 85Hp

Terminal strip at engine Wire color Keyswitch Function

Yellow Yellow S terminal Start
Green Green C terminal Choke
Red Red B terminal Power
White White M terminal (one of them) Stop
Blue (jumper to black ground) Blue M terminal (the other) Stop
Purple Purple Tacho
Orange Orange Overheat
Black Black Ground

Terminal I at keyswitch is only to use for auxiliaries, to power it when key in ignition position.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
This I can understand. On the outboard wire as it states, yellow to yellow, green to green, etc. and follow your excellent direction on the key switch. Thank you sir, you are a massive help.