F698735-1 exhaust seal force 120 in lower unit

HeelzFan

Recruit
Where to locate this "NLA" part? Or a good workaround ; since a local put new/used lower unit on the exhaust is choking me out at idle (unless cowl off)...ideas?

JDusza

Ensign
Hi,
Not sure I can help locate the part. I found a Force NLA on eBay.
I want to comment on the idle smoke. I have a small Force that has only one mixture screw adjustment (low cost carburetor). I have to find the right balance between low and high speed. I make the trade-off to the high speed end. I rarely idle the engine. Consequently, my idle smokes a little and coughs every now and then. It hasn't hurt anything unless the flywheel is not tied down tight enough and the key shears at a cough.
I guess I'm not sure the two are related. Any chance that the local tried a tune-up as part of his work?
Just thoughts,
J

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
JDusza sounds like you need to start your own post.
A cough like this can do more than shear the key.
​It can blow the reeds and cause damage to the piston.

​An unfixable cough at idle usually means it's sucking air somewhere??

HeelzFan

Recruit
Hi,
Not sure I can help locate the part. I found a Force NLA on eBay.
I want to comment on the idle smoke. I have a small Force that has only one mixture screw adjustment (low cost carburetor). I have to find the right balance between low and high speed. I make the trade-off to the high speed end. I rarely idle the engine. Consequently, my idle smokes a little and coughs every now and then. It hasn't hurt anything unless the flywheel is not tied down tight enough and the key shears at a cough.
I guess I'm not sure the two are related. Any chance that the local tried a tune-up as part of his work?
Just thoughts,
J

I was right there, so no topside work was done. And by choke out, I mean suffocate! It shuts off at idle. I have to remove cowl to start off then put on while moving along. Once air flows it runs like a champ!

HeelzFan

Recruit
If not available to buy- is there a workaround? A creative solution to the issue?

JDusza

Ensign
Tried reading really slow and I've come to the carburetor. Indeed, the exhaust is not choking you out. There is too mush fuel trying to burn so we smoke blue and stall, cylinder flooding. When you stall it, check your spark plugs right away to see if they're wet. be careful, they'll be hot. If so, flooding. When the cowl is taken off, more air creates the proper fuel / air ratio (to go with more fuel. More fuel needs more air.) and voila! She runs.
I would take a serious look at your carburetor and tuning. You may have a stuck needle valve, poor float or you may be tuned to run well with the cowl off (more air) and then the cowl is put back on, air restriction and flooding.
Just thoughts.
J

HeelzFan

Recruit
Tried reading really slow and I've come to the carburetor. Indeed, the exhaust is not choking you out. There is too mush fuel trying to burn so we smoke blue and stall, cylinder flooding. When you stall it, check your spark plugs right away to see if they're wet. be careful, they'll be hot. If so, flooding. When the cowl is taken off, more air creates the proper fuel / air ratio (to go with more fuel. More fuel needs more air.) and voila! She runs.
I would take a serious look at your carburetor and tuning. You may have a stuck needle valve, poor float or you may be tuned to run well with the cowl off (more air) and then the cowl is put back on, air restriction and flooding.
Just thoughts.
J

How would that explain the smoke coming up from lower leg?