1985 Force 50, one quit and then the other (spark)

skyarcade

Cadet
I have a 507X5A 1985 Force 50.

I took it out yesterday and it sounded great, idled great, and took me out of the no wake zone great. But when I applied full throttle it felt like only 1/2 power. Just a good slow cruise speed.

So I got up this morning to work on it and now, all of a sudden, I have no spark to either cylinder.

FYI, year before last it ran fantastic. Pulled tubes and skiers. It sat under my carport for one full season.

I used my volt meter and got 12v to the blue wires into both coils. I get 12v to the "start" wire when the ignition is on. I get 12v to the RED wire wither the ignition on or off. I don't think there is a kill switch, none that I can see. I got the boat used from a friend about 4 years ago.

Can someone give me a laymens term troubleshoot list? Or any other reccomendatioms? Thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
outboardignitiondotcom has test procedures for that motor.
​Do a compression test.
Your 1985/50 has a points ignition system.
Pull the flywheel and file/sand the points.
Then see if the spark has returned.

Oh yea Welcome.

skyarcade

Cadet
Hi Jerry. I'm having a tough time getting my flywheel off. I see how simple it looks on vids, but mines only budged a tiny bit but wont pop off. Unless there is more than just the main big nut holding it on, I'm just gonna have to keep adding muscle. Its very clean and taken care of, no rust or buildup. Its just on there tight.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The nut's the only thing holding it.
If it's came loose and wiggles, even a tiny bit? then the magnets probably holding it.
​If it didn't move then more force is needed.
I use a 3 jaw puller as the holes on top of the flywheel strip vey easily.

skyarcade

Cadet
Jerry, I finally got the flywheel off. PB, torch, and impact wrench!

I found an exploded dirt dinner mud clod all over the inside where the points are. Everything covered in dust and mud.

I vaccumed, blew, and toothbrush with alcohol. I lightly sanded points.

Still no fire :(

There is not much to the electrical system on this motor. I thought for sure that the dirt dobber nest in there was it, unless it actually damaged something.

It's getting dark so tomorrow I'll examine wires close but all is clean now.

skyarcade

Cadet
Hi Jerry.

Ok, I replaced coils.

Boat starts now but still only on bottom coil/cylinder.

The top coil is throwing the breaker.

I switched coils around, spark plugs around, and spark plug cables around. Same thing.

ReCap:

The top coil will throw the breaker as long as it's connected to the spark plug. If you unplug the spark plug then it will not throw the breaker.

The motor runs on bottom coil/cylinder only.

I've swapped everything around and same thing.

I tested the points with my meter while turning the crank and they connect and disconnect where needed.

Here is a question. The small capacitor looking things next to each point that absorb the EMF to keep the points from burning up. If the top one was shafted, would it throw the breaker?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
It sounds like there is a short somewhere??
​But I think you already thought that.
​The circuit breaker blowing that's really unusual, try a jumper across the posts on the breaker.
Might be a weak one?

skyarcade

Cadet
I FIXED IT!!! Yay

Ok, so the pin was starting to sheer and little metal shavings were all over the points like held on by static. That's why my shop vac didn't get them. One coil was bad but I replaced them both, new flywheel pin, air compressor, and it's good to go. Didn't even have to adjust timing or anything!!