125 force, lower end teardown question

BackyardKrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey Guys, last year i started having issues with my dogs jumping. I had purchased a spare lower end, and i want to take it apart to see if i could rob some good dogs out of it before i tackled my "good" one..I have the prop off, and the anode, and from Frank's (thanks bud) insructions I started pulling out the bearing housing. Heres what i have. Question...is this how it comes apart???? I have tried everything, she is seized.... or im doing it wrong?

Help!

Attachments

• photo266167.jpg
    photo266167.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 0

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
HEAT!!!! Acetylene torch, but not so hot you melt the housing.
​There is corrosion around the end of the carrier.
​PB Blaster or trans fluid and acetone.
Spray the carrier and then heat it and then spray again.
Tap gently around the area.
Your trying to loosen and can do damage if hit too hard.

​The 1/4-20 threads might strip out as soon as you put a lot of pressure on them so go SLOW!!!!!!!!!!
​They can be drilled and tapped a larger size.

​Take your time, heat and tap and heat and spray and tap. it will come loose.
Franks not with us anymore.:(

​On a really tough one, I ended up tapping to 2 sizes larger and heat treating the screws on the puller.

​The dog(only one) can be resurfaced or just flipped around and the other side used.

​Then ask??? why did it go bad?
​Slow shifting, cable out of adjustment??
I've never worked on one that needed replacing.

​Most time I take them apart is if someone removed the pivot pin in the shifter.

BackyardKrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

ok, it is so seized I started to question myself... I'll get some heat and try some more.

It started jumping the odd time last year on the lake. More so pulling a tube. I adjusted it favoring the forward gear, but it got really worse when i started using it again this year. Of course, i had intended on tearing it down over winter but other projects took priority.

I basically put it in forward, marked the shaft vertical coming out of the lower unit, then selected reverse, found the center and adjusted it a bit toward the forward side. it got me through last year barely but I guess dressing the dogs was inevitable.

My intention was to put the spare lower unit on but the water pump part was different? It must be newer/older? here's the pics...

Attachments

• photo266217.jpg
    photo266217.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266218.jpg
    photo266218.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 0

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
The spare will work. The water pumps are different but both hook up the same. As long as your drive shaft is the same length it should just bolt on. I would change the impeller or at least check it. You will prob need to check your gear adjustment before you get it wet.

BackyardKrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

ok, heat was the answer, thanks, Jerry!

So now I have more questions... these are pics of the dog. Keep in mind this is the spare lower. To me, the reverse looks brand new and the forward has signs of use and no wear. But I notice the top corner of the dogs are just barely "cut off", it doesn't seem worn but made that way.

let me know what you think.

Also, that brass thingy fell out when I pulled it apart. yes, i have the "do not take out" bolt out, wasn't sure if I needed to or not? Also, the brass is worn, still usable? flip it over?

AND the clip holding the bearing in was in pieces... I hope my good lower has a good clip...

Attachments

• photo266479.jpg
    photo266479.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266480.jpg
    photo266480.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266481.jpg
    photo266481.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266482.jpg
    photo266482.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266483.jpg
    photo266483.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266484.jpg
    photo266484.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 0

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Yes the yoke can be flipped over and is serviceable. Take a look at the one that's on your current lower unit and use the best of the two.

When you say the clip was in pieces, if you're referring to the two pieces in the picture of the yoke, that's the way the clip is made. It's two separate pieces.

That dog looks fine. The thing to check closely is the condition of the center hub of the gears that mate up with the dog in your current unit. Hopefully they're OK.

BackyardKrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, I am pretty confident in everything, but I'm still concerned with getting that brass yolk back on where it needs to be?

It fell out when I pulled the prop shaft out, and which side would have been the worn side so I can flip it?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Now that I think about it, you really can't tell which way it was originally installed. It should be worn about the same on each side. Maybe someone had it mis-adjusted so it was worn on one side more than the other? Regardless, it should be OK as is, but if you are concerned, there are some decent ones on the auction sites for about $15, or a new one for about $40. You're other lower unit has one too that you can use.

BackyardKrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So here's the update. the lower I uploaded pics of was kind of a parts engine. I mostly wanted the dog gear, assuming it was good and it is.

The lower I want to fix is the newer two piece driveshaft. I ended up taking it completely apart since the forward gear dog is worn somewhat as well. So far so good, it looks to have been apart before though. The pinion nut was "snug", not 80+ft lbs tight. Also, it has the steel yolk, not worn at all.

I'm buying an appropriate die grinder bit tomorrow to dress the forward gear, and some machinist dye ( I think that's what they call it) to make sure they are all finished off the same as close as possible.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Dog looks good, pics of the gears?
​The shift yoke is worn too much, that could have been the problem?