85hp force trouble

MKYxD

Cadet
It is a 1984 model 85hp force outboard. The other day it ran but would only get to about 3000 rpm and sounded kind of bogged out. Checked plugs and one was cold like it wasn't firing. I will post a pic. Just compression tested all three cykinders and they are all 130 to 140. The clean plug is the one that was cold to touch. Also on that plug wire I noticed inside is all rusty where it connects to spark plug, could that be the culprit? Seems too simple to be true. Ideas?

Attachments

• photo266019.jpg
    photo266019.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 0

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Check for spark on the cylinder that the clean plug came out of. Probably lost spark to that plug.

MKYxD

Cadet
Have recently done work on carb on same cylinder as well. Wondering if something clogged or stuck. First run after carb work went well. This last and second trip not so well.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Is it #3 not firing?
If so try swapping the coils and see if it follows the coil?
Then the trigger leads, check them.
​They are very tiny and can break easily.
Try swapping the packs around.

​outboardignitiondot com has test procedures for your motor.

MKYxD

Cadet
It is the bottom cylinder I put a spark tester in line . got plenty of spark on the tester. What do you mean by trigger leads? New to repairs sorry

Jiggz

Captain
If you get plenty of sparks on the bottom cylinder, then it is most likely fuel related. Verify the bottom carb is working accordingly and that is it even getting fuel in the bowl. If not, remove the bowl and check the float and needle to make sure none is stuck.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The trigger is like a distributor in a car. It sends a signal to fire the plug..
The leads are small and break easily.
​But if your getting spark, your trigger is working.

​What kind of battery? Deep cycle?
Test the stator.