Force 50 507Y9B no spark

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've got this Force 50 here that has no spark. I have used the CDI troubleshooting guide to test the stator, and trigger for both ohms and DVA output and all are in the acceptable ranges.

I installed a new stator I had on hand just to see if it made a difference, no joy. I checked the triigger wires for loose wires and repaired several and then installed a trigger from a parts motor I have. That got me spark on the top wire but not the bottom.

I swapped the red/white, green trigger wires per CDI instructions and lost all spark. Swapped them back and got the top spark back.

I swapped the stator and trigger wires for the top and bottom coil/cd combo packs and lost all spark. I think I have a bad lower combo pack now, but they are a pretty expensive part to change if you are not sure of the diagnosis. There are no coils on the parts motor.

Would the experts be comfortable changing this coil combo pac at this point? If not, what would you do next?

The parts breakdowns all show this motor as having separate coils and CDI, but the one I have here has no CDI and the combo packs, does anyone know the part number for the combo pack with terminals, not the ones with plugs.

I also changed the buss bar for the connections because the one on it had several wrong screws and broken partitions between the terminal posts.

It looks like this has been worked on a LOT for similar issues.

I've had the flywheel off twice, checked for loose magnets or a sheared key, all look fine.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well I figured out the part numbers part. I am working on a 1988 507Y8C, not the 507Y9B I used above. I've got too many serial plate pictures in my phone.

Brown kill wires are disconnected, rectifier is disconnected.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yes, thanks Jerry, I'd been looking there and I bought one last night on ebay, I guess we'll see if that is the issue. It's a $100 guess and I don't like guessing, but I think it's a reasonable guess.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Well the pack got the spark back to both cylinders. I started it up and something is rattling like crazy and there is water running out from under the bottom cylinder. I think we'll look for a different motor for this boat and call this one a parts motor.