Chrysler 1976 120 won't start!

lordnumber56

Recruit
okay this thing has me boggled. started and ran okay was pulling up to the dock and it died. will not start again. got it back on the trailer and home to check it out. i have spark on all 4 plugs checked timing and for a broken key both were good. checked compression 130-140 on all cylinders. carbs seem to be getting fuel sprayed fuel strait into the carbs to be sure and still not running. can see reeds opening and closing and plugs are wet when i pull to check them. I'm at a loss for where to look next. if there was a seal out of the crank case could it cause fuel not to be atomized and sucked into the combustion chamber? anything at this point would be helpful

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
IF??? you have spark and fuel and compression??
Then the obvious is timing????????
Pull the flywheel and see?

lordnumber56

Recruit
IF??? you have spark and fuel and compression??
Then the obvious is timing????????
Pull the flywheel and see?

I've rotated the fly wheel to zero and checked the distributor and that t timing mark lines up perfectly with with the flywheel though??

Nordin

Commander
Does the curved line at dist.pully line up with the flywheelrimm at TDC?

Nordin

Commander
Yes a broken crankseal will make no fuelmixture to reach the cumbustion chamber, but it would run on at least 3 cylinder.
There are 2 different typ of seals at the crank.
At each end of crank a regular seal but inbetween cyl 1/2, 2/3 and 3/4 there are a typ like a piston ring.
These does not broke offen, I have never seen it. They can broke when you assemble the crank to the crankcase.

I would suggest you to check the fuel pump diaphragm.
If it is bad, fuel will enter the crankcase and "flood" the engine.

lordnumber56

Recruit
Yes a broken crankseal will make no fuelmixture to reach the cumbustion chamber, but it would run on at least 3 cylinder.
There are 2 different typ of seals at the crank.
At each end of crank a regular seal but inbetween cyl 1/2, 2/3 and 3/4 there are a typ like a piston ring.
These does not broke offen, I have never seen it. They can broke when you assemble the crank to the crankcase.

I would suggest you to check the fuel pump diaphragm.
If it is bad, fuel will enter the crankcase and "flood" the engine.

Okay I will check that and see.
Also wondering how to test the ingnition coil. I have spark when I pull a plug out and check but idk if I am when I put the plug back in. Just replaced the plugs

lordnumber56

Recruit
You can check for spark with plugs in using a timing light.
Okay and I can switch all wires around and put them on the wrong plug and get it to back fire but with them on the correct plug I get nothing so I would assume that I'm getting spark