1996 Regal Rush Sportjet XP 120 will not start

RogerASki

Seaman
Have not used my jetboat for two months. Turned over but would not start. Put in new spark plugs, replaced all Fuel Recirculation System hoses (2 were disconnected), installed separate fresh (no alcohol) regular gas tank, removed and cleaned both carburetors, and replaced battery. After putting everything back together the engine started on the third try. I then started the engine 3 times after waiting 5-10 minutes each time. Went and did some errands for about 3 hours and then tried to restart engine. It turned over but would not start.
Any help suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! Ski

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Welcome.
First thing is a spark test then a compression test.
​Check all the connections.
You using the choke/ enricher?
Check the enricher for power(test light).
​Post the results.
​outboardignitiondotcom has test procedures for the electrical system.

RogerASki

Seaman
jerryjerry05 - I did the following before I read your post. Thanks for answering so fast!!!

Just finished removing the primer bulb, replacing the old gray fuel line, replaced with heavy black fuel line and adjusted portable gas tank with slight incline. Started right up. Will hook up to water intake tomorrow. Too hot outside right now but feel very encouraged. Thanks for your suggestions!
Ski
PS probably not getting gas!

RogerASki

Seaman
Update: tried to start April 30, 2017 - turned over - no start. Had to leave it for a while.

5/3/17 After thinking about it for a few days I really think it is gas related. Is it actually getting to carbs?

I am looking into the items that jerryjerry05 suggested above. I will have to purchase a compression tool. Will update asap.
Ski

PS does anyone know what extension videos can be posted - .mov, mp3, mp4, AVI ?

Last edited:

RogerASki

Seaman
May 13, 2017 update:
Decided to save some time and had my mechanic come to the house (is only mobile service now). He checked the compression and spark and both were good. After thoroughly looking over the Sport Jet XP 120 he determined the auto enrichener did not work and the carburetors need to be looked at. He took the carbs with him and ordered the enrichener.
He came back yesterday and installed the carbs and enrichener. It started right up!!! I hooked it up to water supply and ran several minutes several times yesterday, Fired up each time!
Bottom line: auto fuel enrichener and both float needle valves!
Next move is to put it back in the lake and run it!
Thanks for all the advice given here!
Ski

RogerASki

Seaman
No Title

Attachments

• photo264895.jpg
    photo264895.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo264896.jpg
    photo264896.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 0

RogerASki

Seaman
Thanks jerryjerry05! Next time this happens I'll know where to look first.
Just need to run around lake a few times to confirm repairs!
Ski

RogerASki

Seaman
Finished a video (in 3 parts) on the repair in hopes that it will help someone else.Thanks again, Ski