Force 50 - LU Install

Gtbp90

Cadet
Yea does anyone have any tips for the reinstallation of an 86 force 50, the throttle linkage is all internal, and is proving to be impossible after changing impeller. Any love on this topic would be greatly appreciated

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome Gtbp90

Your new thread. Please read the Help Tip on top of the page about posting in old threads.

Did you have to undo the shift linkage to drop the lower unit? I think it's a slide off and slide on job.

Gtbp90

Cadet
Welcome Gtbp90

Your new thread. Please read the Help Tip on top of the page about posting in old threads.

Did you have to undo the shift linkage to drop the lower unit? I think it's a slide off and slide on job.

Correct its a push pin and cotter key setup. When it was removed the weight of the lower still connected gave way for room to remove the cotter and pin. However with everything disconnected, the lower has to be completely pressed tougher for the the holes to line up. So after trying to slide a putty knife in to push in the pin and still not have the holes line up vertically, here I am asking for the secret

Gtbp90

Cadet
Unfortunately it is not a threaded coupler, this is an older(more stupid) model. I can't believe I didn't think to shift the throttle into gear to extend the linkage. Thanks for the heads up I'll be trying that after work

Gtbp90

Cadet
Sounds like you need to shift into gear to extend the shift lever. I thought the shift lever was a threaded coupler?? with a locking nut on both ends.(see a parts diagram) Not sure if this works but look up a diagram for your motor. http://www.**********/parts/search/Merc/Force/1986/H0507X86A/parts.html

So even with running the boat through the gears it does not extend the shift linkage low enough to align the holes for the push pin. So unless anyone else has any secret maneuvers, I have to go be a mechanics favorite customer and take them a half finished project

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You need 5 posts to add pics to your post.
Or use a photo sharing site.
Then add some pics so we can see the lower and the linkage.