'69 Chrysler 35 HP Timing Confusion

SeaStar69

Cadet

​Ok - so I'm trying to understand the relationship between piston travel and point function to properly set the timing on my 35 hp Chrysler with magneto ignition. I've found the thread about using the flywheel teeth to measure crankshaft rotation. The picture above shows the timing plate with the #1 piston at TDC and the points totally closed. I'm hoping a Chrysler guru can help me out with the following:
​* Points should be gapped at .02" and timing at idle should be set at BTDC 32 degrees?
​* When does the spark plug fire, when the points just begin to open?
* If the spark is supposed to occur before TDC why haven't the points already opened with the piston at TDC?
​* Where should the point follower approximately be in this picture if the timing is set properly?

​Thanks!

Nordin

Commander
First I will correct you about the timing.
It should be 30dgr BTDC at WOT. The fuel is not as good nowadays soo it is better to retared the timing about 2 dgr.

You can gap the points to 020 regardless were the throttle is. You set it when the points lever is att highest point at camcurve.

The sparkplug fires when the points just open and the magnetic field in the coil collapse.
The timingplate diplace the points location soo the points open earlier when the throttle increase.

You adjust the timing at WOT by extending or shorting the timingrod.

wickware

Lieutenant
SeaStar69, please try and post you picture again. I feel you are referring to ?Static Timing? that we used to time VW engines 60s-70s. I have a 1970 35HP Chrysler that I purchased in 1984. I have not had a timing issue ?One Time?. It has always been dirty points that caused some hesitation. On hard acceleration ?from a dead start (A Whole Shot or WOT) Running Wide Open @ 32 MPH. LOL!!!
I counted the teeth and used that method to ck timing but I never needed to adjust it. My problem started with me changing the point and adding too much oil to the point?s cam wics that created a vapor causing contaminated points. Since 1984 I only changed once vs cleaned the points (that was not needed vs VW Memories). My observation of oil vapor on instant checks after longer runs showed I was adding too much oil to the wics. You Live & Learn!!!
1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magneto System 2.JPG