Lower crank shaft seal 1990 force 90hp

pita482

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, can the lower crank seal be replaced on a 1990 90hp force without splitting the block? Found the spring for the seal laying down in lower unit when changing water impeller, doesn't seem to be leaking, seal looks in good shape, was wondering if I remove the power head can the seal be popped out of the bearing case or do I have to split the block, or if it's not leaking just run it without the spring?
Any help on this would be great!
Thanks in advance!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
All you have to do is to slip the spring back on the seal. If you look at the rubber seal, you'll see a channel or a deep groove just on the outer circumference of the lip that rides on the crankshaft. The spring sits in that channel. It pulls the lip on the seal against the crankshaft. That seal is important as it seals the crankcase. It's not a show stopper without the seal, however, in order to get the best performance the crankcase must be sealed in order to get the fuel/oil mixture into the cylinders.

The seal itself is installed into the bearing and does not touch the case at all. Not sure if the hole in the case is big enough to pull the seal through.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The seal can be replaced without the cases being split.

​You can make a seal puller out of a stiff metal hangar.
​FrankA posted one time about how he made a puller from a hangar.
I made one, actually 2 as that's how many you need.

I'm not sure the spring can be replaced in the seal.
​I'm gonna go and look at a seal/ bearing I have.

pita482

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Jerry, I have an old parts motor, I was able to take spring on and off seal while still in case, but couldn't get the seal out without destroying it, was gonna take my power head off, just don't want to split the case if I don't have to

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I went and looked at the bearing I have.
The spring can be put back in.
But if it fell out??
Not so sure I'd trust it again??

pita482

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Right, I'm just gonna replace the seal, the spring was actually broken laying next to the water pump housing.
Do you think the seal can be taken out without removing the bearing?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The bearing is pinned in place.
​You can't pull it out unless you split the cases.