Source for voltage regulator for 1994 Force 150HP outboard?

Mathewpt

Recruit
I need to replace the voltage regulator on my 1994 Force 150HP outboard; luckily the motor never stranded me in the middle of the lake, but while changing spark plugs I found it's pretty badly burned, and surely will fail soon.

Can someone on this forum verify the correct part number I need, and/or a source for that voltage regulator? Does a burned out VR indicate I should also replace something else? Thanks in advance....

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 94 came with 2 different regs.
What's the serial# Or is there a part # on yours??
​It seems like they are interchangeable ?

194-5279 is CDI part#

815279T 4 is Mercury's part#

​The amphenol connectors(plugin's) are famous for being a bad connector.
​They arc and will make turn things black.

​They might sell them on this site??
But e-bay is always a good bet.
​NEVER buy used.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
They are available here on IBoats.

There are some cheaper aftermarket one's that are used on snow mobiles or other small motors, however, the colors of the wires are different so it's a little bit of a challenge to get them wired up correctly and easy to damage them if not wired correctly.

It's not uncommon for the regulators that have the clear epoxy type material to show signs of overheating.

Like Jerry mentioned, the barrel lug connectors are also prone to overheating and turning black. I cut the barrel lug connectors off of the battery charging wires (Yellow wires) on the stator and the regulator and crimped on some regular screw type terminal ends and added a terminal strip. Haven't seen any signs of overheated connections after doing this.

Mathewpt

Recruit
Thanks to you both, I'll check out those part numbers. I *think* I have the clear epoxy one, but the front panel is partially melted/burned (it's really lucky we didn't get stranded in the middle of the lake :) I'll remove the part and see if there are some numbers or similar on the back.