Mystery part in 1989 Force 125 water jacket

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am currently rebuilding a 1989 Force 125 and found two of these little parts floating around in the water jacket.
The have what looks like a bead in them witch lead me to believe they are a check valve of some kind.
Was thinking cylinder drain check valve.
1.jpg 2.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I looked over a few 1998 Force engines and didn't see anything that matched. But the total model number could help.

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah I couldn't find it in the manual either. Where can I find the full model number?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yeah I couldn't find it in the manual either. Where can I find the full model number?

There should be an idenifcation plate on the engine some where. It would have the model number and possible other info that could help as well. JMHO

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
white decal on the block that also shows wiring? ill check for model info

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I've taken apart a few 125's and have never found anything like that???
​In fact I have "just" taken 3 apart and not one has anything like this.

​Where in the water jacket?

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
One was inside the block next to a cylinder just hanging out. The other was somewhat wedge in a small port when you take off the cylinder drain check valve covers.(covers shaped somewhat like a dog bone on the side of the block)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The cylinder drain cover has brass inserts in them.
Pic of the dog bone? Both sides.

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The cylinder drain cover has brass inserts in them.
Pic of the dog bone? Both sides.

Thats what I though, but cant find a pic of the inserts. I beleive that what these are.... or pieces of them, looks like someone drilled the inserts out. The "dog bone" is the cyl drain cover you speak of. to me that what they are shaped like. What do the brass inserts do?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
The valves in the cylinder drain covers are one way check valves that allow the by-pass passage pressure differential to suck the pooled up fuel and burn it off to minimize an over rich condition when running at low or idle speeds.

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The valves in the cylinder drain covers are one way check valves that allow the by-pass passage pressure differential to suck the pooled up fuel and burn it off to minimize an over rich condition when running at low or idle speeds.

Does that mean is someone was to drill them out you could run the risk of running too lean?
Mabye thats why this motor i am fixing was running too lean.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
I couldn't say for sure but I don't think that it would affect the air/fuel ratio very much if at all since none of the drain back passages are open to the air. The passages are internal to the motor. Having said that, there are some 1/4" or so hoses that connect the cylinder drain covers to a fitting on the by-pass covers. Make sure they are in good shape and not cracked etc.

If the motor is running too lean, then usually it's a fuel delivery or carburetor issue, or sometimes the gasket on the by-pass covers leaking. If you see any fuel/oil mixture leaking out from around any of the the four by-pass covers, then you may have a bad gasket or loose by-pass cover bolts.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The hoses pnwboat mentioned probably aren't on your motor.
The 88 and up used a different cyl. drain and yours probably doesn't have the hoses????

The brass insert is under the screen on the cyl. drain cover.
But from looking at the ones I have here?? the insert doesn't look like that at all.
It's pressed in and I doubt it could come loose and end up in the water jacket.

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The hoses pnwboat mentioned probably aren't on your motor.
The 88 and up used a different cyl. drain and yours probably doesn't have the hoses????

The brass insert is under the screen on the cyl. drain cover.
But from looking at the ones I have here?? the insert doesn't look like that at all.
It's pressed in and I doubt it could come loose and end up in the water jacket.

I looked at those and thats what they are. Looks like someone was messing around with a drill under one of the covers, and the somehow made it through the screen in the gasket. I am sure thats where they go... I can't beleive i found thse tiny things.

NEKFORCE

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Guys, I found a view of the "dog bone cover" and the check valve and screen. I still would like to get an understanding for what they do, as i beleive them getting loos is part reason for the engine faliure. That being said I am now looking for a new cover, screens and check valves if anyone has them for sale.
See the exploded view i found. checkvalve.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
They like the jet in a carb meter the air/fuel back into the system.
The screen blocks the hole from pieces of carbon getting into the system.
And yes that probably contributed to the failure.