1970s 75hp chrysler

Nordin

Commander
Okey, good now you have spark.

First of all check that the flywheel key is not shared.
Set the top piston (#1) in TDC (top dead center). That is when the piston is at highest position in the cylinder.
Put a screwdriver in the top hole and turn the flywheel until you reach the TDC.

Now look at the zero mark at the flywheel, it should line up with the zero mark at the timingplate.
The timingplate is mounted just above the top carb and it has a couple of lines at it. The longer one in the middle is the zero mark.
If that lines up with the zero mark at the flywheel the key is okey. If not then it is shared.

Now take a look at the distributor pully. It has a curved line at the top.
When the #1 piston is in TDC the curved line should line up with the flywheel rim.
If not, you have to loosen the bolt that tights the distributor and loose the belt and move the pully soo the curve lines up with the flywheel rim.

That is the timing adjustment and it should fire up with this.

Then you have to check the timing advance, but start with this at first and see if it fires up.

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Distributor gear was quite a bit off. Flywheel lines up with 0. Getting good spark still. But it just doesn't want to fire up.

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Starter just doesn't seem to be turning the motor over as fast as it should to me. Good charged battery, and even with my charger on it and on engine start it just seems like its turning over slow to me...

Nordin

Commander
Have you clean the carbs?
Try to put some fuel into top hole (about a tablespon) and see if it want to start. Or a better way spray some fuelmixture with a sparybottle into the carbs throat.
Are you activating the choke by pushing the key in when you try to start?

As you have spark and it seems to be right adjusted and the compression numbers are 150 PSI, the only thing more you need are fuel.

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yessir. I've got a spray bottle of fuel. I tried spraying some into the carbs. It still didn't hit. Battery is fully charged, I've tried using the key choke also. Its sparking extremely well. As i mentioned earlier before i adjusted the timing it tried to hit a couple of times but now the starter just seems like its dragging. Maybe it was damaged from the motor being out of time and "kicking back" and its just not spinning it over fast enough?

I haven't messed with the carbs yet but it should at least try to bust off when spraying fuel into the carbs

Nordin

Commander
Okey, I do not think the starter being damage from the kick back.

When starter turning slow there are two things except a bad charged battery that can be the issue.
The starter has carbon build up or bad brushes or the starter solenoid has bad connection outside or inside.
Have you tried to by pass the solenoid and put the battery power direct to the terminal at starter.

One other thing, check the grounding of the starter and the grounding of the engine block.

BTW If the starter drag alot of current during the starting the voltage can drop.
If it drops to 9-10V the CD box will not produce proper spark.

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Went out to give it a shot this morning and the starter won't even do anything. The solenoid will click and voltage will go to the starter but nothing happens. Tried hooking it straight to the starter with the same results.

Nordin

Commander
Sounds like the starter needs a restoration.
Disassemble it and take a look.
Clean it and furbish the commutator, maybe it needs new brushers too.
At least 1/4 - 1/3 of the length needs to remain.