84 Sea KIng/Chrysler

60sboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
How do you get the seat out of the carb (15hp) ? The retainer above the seat is what I'm wondering about. I tried using a pick to no avail.

60sboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
The carb number is 618061. IDK if it's a Walbro,Tillotson or what.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Depending on the seat??? It might be a press in??
If it doesn't have a slot across the seat it might not come out??
Pics of the seat and needle?

60sboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
It comes out because the kit has a new retainer in it. It's in a groove above the seat. I can see it with an opti visor and light. It'd be hard to photo.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If the old needle is in good shape??
​Just use it?

Is it the solid needle?
Or the rubber tipped?
Is it the same needle as in the new kit?

60sboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's a solid needle. I think the old seat was slightly swollen;the seat is part of the casting. Anyhow,I've damaged the area and might need a replacement carb(float rides too high now).

Tillotson 618061 or Walbro LMB 229

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The carbs with the solid needle, the seat had a very tiny seal/ o-ring in there.
​Some have trouble with solvents or cleaners and fuel additives.
They swell and shut off the flow.
​I've found that washing with soapy water and letting it air dry(maybe a day or 2) will let the swelling go down.
​The only thing in the fuel needs to be oil.

60sboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is a metal needle with a viton(?) seat. Also,the float pin did not have the spring but I got one with the kit (needle,seat,retainer,spring). The bore was damaged but I have the seat at the right depth to provide the correct float height now. I need another retainer to got on top of the seat.

I caused some damage to the bore which is why all the fuss to effect a simple seat replacement.

I've seen these type of seats in lawn mower carbs but they don't have retaining rings on top.