Force 120 Lower unit Ball bearings in Prop unit.

SoCalTrophy

Cadet
I have a 95 Force 120 and wanted to check the prop seal and decided to remove the propeller housing and gear case. Removed 2 bolts holding carriage and slid out gears. noticed i was missing a Big O ring but i found that the cam fill out and there was bearings inside the housing. i found 2 bearings. I read that these are detent balls that prevent the dog clutch from slipping. I HAVE NO IDEA how to get these back in. Can you someone Explain.

Here is the parts diagram, #45 is what came out, i slid the cone metal piece that sits on top of the spring but cant find out where to put the bearings back Someone please help.(tried uploading a pic but i must be a newbie, keep getting a error)

Thanks in advance to everyone

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I believe the parts go together when you apply pressure on the shaft.
​Pushing the point into a hard surface as you try to install the balls.
Maybe ask over on the Mercury site.
​Your drive is about 90% Mercury.

SoCalTrophy

Cadet
Do the balls not get lodged in the sprig behind the hole in the shaft where they appear to go. My only concern is the hole in which these goes in seems larger and behind it doesnt seem machined or tapered in anyway to hold these put, theres a spring that i see behind the holes where the bearing balls goes. Anybody ever had to do this on there FORCE that can help.I read there was a OMC tool sleve that i might need to buy but not sure. Thanks