Lower unit stuck in forward gear after changing lower unit seals

joshbosh

Cadet
Hey guys, just got the boat on the water this spring after replacing all of the lower unit seals (oil seals on gearcase bearing along the prop shaft, oil seal under the water pump housing, etc). Looks like it's sealed up really nicely but I created a new problem. My shifter is stuck in forward. Prop clicks forward and doesnt move backward and even when I put the shifter in reverse, it accelerates the prop i forward gear.

I've seen similar posts with people recommending to force the lower unit gear shift because it is stuck in "no mans land" and this didn't work for me. I tried to force it with a ton of force and it doesn't budge. The shift spline on the lower unit moves with a lot of play and no resistance until about 180 degrees and then won't budge. I wonder if I reassembled the bearing carrier with the shifter out of place or something. Is this possible? What else can I try?

Help is much appreciated.

joshbosh

Cadet
[h=2]Hey guys, just got the boat on the water this spring after replacing all of the lower unit seals (oil seals on gearcase bearing along the prop shaft, oil seal under the water pump housing, etc). Looks like it's sealed up really nicely but I created a new problem. My shifter is stuck in forward. Prop clicks forward and doesnt move backward and even when I put the shifter in reverse using the throttle, it accelerates the in forward gear.[/h]

I've seen similar posts with people recommending to force the lower unit gear shift because it is stuck in "no mans land" and this didn't work for me. I tried to force it with a ton of force and it doesn't budge. The shift spline on the lower unit moves with a lot of play and no resistance until about 180 degrees and then won't budge. I wonder if I reassembled the bearing carrier with the shifter out of place or something. Is this possible? What else can I try? To reiterate, the conventional methods of "making sure throttle shifter is in neutral and lower unit is in neutral before reinstalling" and "forcing lower unit shifter using vice grips until it clicks into the next gear" did not work. I'm wondering if I did something wrong in the reassembly of the lower unit or there is something else that I can try.

Help is much appreciated.

merc850

Commander
If you took the cam out of the unit maybe it isn't installed properly
Lower-Units-shift-camsmall.jpg

joshbosh

Cadet
Thanks for the response merc850. Forgive me but I don't know what the cam is. I took out basically everything on the prop shaft. Is figure 2 a view down the prop shaft? I don't really follow the picture.

merc850

Commander
Fig. 2 is looking into the gearcase without the internals, the only way to check is to remove the bearing carrier and gears, and if its wrong you have to remove the shiftshaft bushing and shaft then install correctly; if the cam is upside down it will just stop at the point where you are trying to turn it into neutral. The fact that it just stops and won't turn CCW makes me think that this could be the problem.
The bearing carrier should be installed with these instructions
bearing-carrier-installsmal.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Always include the year, model???
You have a manual?
Find a parts diagram for your motor.

You remove the propshaft?
You remove the slotted screw on the side of the lower case?

​Sounds like the shift yoke fell out of position??

​It fits on the end of the gear shift pin.
​That slides the clutch dog back and forth when you shift.

​You'll need to take it apart and fit the yoke back on the pin and align gear shift coupling arm and reset the yoke.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Did you pull the SHIFT ROD out of the lower unit , yes or no ?---You said you replaced ALL the seals.

joshbosh

Cadet
No Title

merc850, I think you are definitely right, I messed something up reinstalling the bearing carrier. I had taken out the first set of gears behind the bearing carrier and pulled up the prop shaft during the reinstall. I've disassembled everything again and look at the pictures. Something is jamming the shift shaft.

I'm at a total loss now on how to proceed. Can you please provide guidance on how to reset everything correctly? And what am "I looking at in the picture that's jamming the shift shaft? It looks like something is loose and jammed in there.

racerone, I did not pull out the shift rod and replace that seal. This is the one I didn't want to mess with.

Attachments

• photo260789.jpg
    photo260789.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 5
  • photo260790.jpg
    photo260790.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 5

joshbosh

Cadet
No Title

Jerry, this is a 1998 force 120HP. I do not have a manual but I do have a parts diagram. I did remove the prop shaft but not the slotted screw. I broke it all down and discovered that something is dislodged and sitting in the gearbox. I'm lucky i didn't destroy the gearbox. See pictures. Is this loose piece the shift yoke?

What are the steps from this point forward to reassemble correctly? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• photo260789.jpg
    photo260789.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260790.jpg
    photo260790.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Remove screw in the bottom of driveshaft.----Pull out the driveshaft.----Forward gear should fall out .----You will be able to see what is going on after that is done.-----Sure looks like the shift rod was pulled out !--Is the boat " new to you " ?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Merged your two threads into the one in the Force section.