87 force 50 starter wont crank from key

PW1967

Cadet
OK I'm at the end or my rope on this one. 1987 Force 50 on 87 bass tracker. I have no 12v. power at the ignition switch, all accessory work but that's on a different circuit. I can basically run a jumper wire from battery directly to solenoid and engine will crank and start. but will do nothing from key. I dont seem to have 12v. power anywhere, Here is a few things I have tried
bench test starter solenoid passed it clicked and showed little resistance
bench test neutral safety switch passed, with button pressed has continuity, with button depressed shows open circuit
cleaned battery terminals
checked ignition, battery, and ground wires for continuity from ignition switch to terminal block on engine, and checked wires from terminal block to neutral safety switch and to starter solenoid, and good continuity through all.
bench test breaker and shows good.
So I still can not get 12v. power to the terminal block on engine. ( only if I hot wire solenoid directly from battery). Am I overlooking something ? boat has done this periodically out on the lake last year but I would just wiggle the battery wires on battery or move the foreward control a little and would fire up, The foreward control has no switch in it , just the one on the engine connected to the linkage.
My thoughts are ignition switch? Does the power flow from battery to starter solenoid and then through the circuit to the ignition switch. If so I loose it at the solenoid
Any help on this thanks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
There "might" be a fuse under the dash that isn't making contact?
Over time the fuse panel gets corroded, use a test light across the contacts.
​WD-40 on the panel and remove the fuses and wire brush it, then remove all the wires and clean/ replace the connectors..

WD-40 straight into the ignition switch.

IF?? the shifter wiggling worked before??
Then the N safety switch needs to be adjusted.
I think that's done by adjusting the cable??(I think)

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
You have four wire terminals on the Starter solenoid. Two large and two small terminal connections. One large terminal has the battery cable that runs directly from the battery. The other large terminal has the cable that goes directly to the starter. On one of the smaller terminals, there should be a small Yellow wire, (this goes to one side of the Neutral Safety switch). The other small terminal should have a Black wire. This Black wire goes to ground. Make sure the Black wire has a good connection to ground.

The way this works is when you turn the key to the "Start" position, 12vdc is supplied to the small yellow wire which engages the starter solenoid and closes the connection between the battery cable and starter cable and energizes the starter motor. When you release the Ignition key from the "Start" position, 12vdc is no longer supplied to the Yellow wire and the starter solenoid disengages and opens the contact between the battery cable and the starter, which causes the starter to disengage from the flywheel and stop.

To test the solenoid, take a jumper wire and connect one end to the terminal on the solenoid that goes to the battery. Take the other end of the wire and momentarily touch it to the terminal that has the yellow wire. When you do this, the starter should engage. You might see a small spark when you touch the jumper wire to the yellow terminal wire....this is normal. If nothing happens, you either have a bad starter solenoid, or the black wire on the small terminal is not properly grounded.

To check the wiring, have someone turn the ignition key to the "Start" position and hold it in that position while you check for 12vdc on the yellow wire on the starter solenoid. If you do not have 12vdc, check the Neutral Safety switch. Make sure the white button on the Neutral Safety switch it is pushed all the way in. If that all checks out, and you still do not have 12vdc on the Yellow wire, then either the Ignition switch is bad or you have a broken connection/wire between the ignition switch and the Neutral safety switch. If you do have 12vdc on the yellow wire with the key in the start position, check for to make sure the small black wire on the starter solenoid is connected to ground with an OHM meter.

PW1967

Cadet
thanks for the reply"s, I just tried the WD/40 in the ignition switch and no luck. Also double checked yellow wire from solenoid back to terminal and to neutral safety switch and has good continuity throughout. I can jump the solenoid from battery terminal side then to yellow trigger wire and starter will engage and fire up. My solenoid has only three terminals. A large terminal from battery, and a large terminal to starter with a lead wire off that post going to the breaker, then the small yellow trigger wire, and its grounded through the base of solenoid then to terminal block. and I do have good continuity through the ground. So I guess I will start with replacing the ignition switch, if that dont help I guess I may have to wire in a momentary switch or something.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
So I would be my guess that the problem is you're not getting 12V on the yellow wire when you turn the key. So it's got to be the ignition switch or wiring coming off of the ignition switch. According to my wiring diagram, terminal "S" on the ignition switch supplies 12V to the yellow wire on the starter solenoid when you turn the ignition key to the "Start" position. It should be a yellow wire (terminal "S") on the ignition switch if it has the factory wiring harness.

Fed

Commander
I think the breaker lead wire should be connected to the battery side of the solenoid, on a tablet here and it's a bit hard to find you a circuit diagram at the moment.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Replacing the ignition would be the next step.

Take pics of the ignition before you remove any wires.
​Make a diagram of it too.

PW1967

Cadet
I think the breaker lead wire should be connected to the battery side of the solenoid, on a tablet here and it's a bit hard to find you a circuit diagram at the moment.

well that was the problem, I was wondering on that one myself, I guess I must have reversed it when I took it off the first time, I bought a new ignition switch and tried it with no luck, then tried switching the lead wire going to breaker and what do you know it started cranking. oh well at least I got a new ignition switch now and got a lot of old wiring in a 30 year old boat cleaned up. :joyous:

thank you guys for your help

Last edited:

PW1967

Cadet
Well that was the problem, I was wondering on that myself, I guess I must have reversed it when I took it off the first time, I bought a new ignition switch and tried it with no luck, then tried switching the lead wire going to breaker and what do you know it started cranking oh well at least I got a new ignition switch now and got a lot of old wiring in a 30 year old boat cleaned up :joyous:

thank you guys for your help

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
One of the hardest things to diagnose is when someone hooks up a wire backwards???

Good job FED!!

Somerowl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Exactly what I'm chasing now guys, thanks very much for saving me probably 2 hours of troubleshooting! VERY much appreciated!!:clap2: