Throttle and shifter cable hookup

ferdly1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want to thank everyone for their help. Its been a long slow process. Slow because I am getting older..I just have one more question. I have a 1997 75hp Force. I am trying to hook up the shifter and throttle cables. I bought this motor used. I was told that the cables have to go in from the right side around the back of the engine over to the left side and hook up. From the looks of things that is probably correct.Just wondering if there are any anchorpoints on the right side to hold the cable. Basically wondering if any one out there has a similar motor hooked up this way. Be easier if I could get some pictures. Went by the mercury shop they said they hadnt worked on one in years. I would appreciate any help.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 97 75hp used Mercury equipment.
​The part about going around the back of the motor????
Never saw anything like that EVER???

​The cables go through the left side. I believe the fuel goes through the right.
​Post pics of the towershaft and where the shifter connects.
Pics of the shift cables your trying to hook up?
​Pics of the shifter?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I was told that the cables have to go in from the right side around the back of the engine over to the left side and hook up.

Agreeing with Jerry, here.

Control cables do not get wrapped around the powerhead.

ferdly1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I took another look at my setup and rerouted the throttle cable to the left side. Both cables are now on the left side. Thanks for your input. I have included a picture of a part i need. This ferrule fits on the throttle cable and shifter cable. It fits in hole where the cable mounts to the stud that keeps the cable from moving. I have enclosed a picture. Couldnt find this part in parts breakdown.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That part is probably a part of the cable????
​Might have the wrong cables??
​Pics of the cables and where it connects on the lower cowl.
Shifter pics?

ferdly1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes it is part of cable. I believe these are the correct cables, they do fit. That ferrule acts as an insert or spacer which helps hold cable tighter. I have been trying to take pictures. They come out so poorly. I will try again. I called Mercury for help. Only thing they could do was sell me a service manual for 100 dollars. Just about finished with motor now. Only thing left is to install shift linkage and adjust. Oh and thanks for straitening me out about the routing of cables. As far as the ferrule goes I will find or make something work, Always do. May end up buying new cables afterall because they are a little longer than I need. Just want to take this motor out and see how it performs on the water
first

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The cable should be about 3 ft too long.
It should make a loop in front of the motor.
That way the motor can turn / tilt without stretching the cable and causing trouble.