kind of a shifter problem

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My shifter works great but its reverse meaning pull it back to go forward and forward for reverse. I tried switching cables but then I can only put in reverse and it will not go in forward but thats with the motor not running. with them the wrong way I can move it forward and backward no problem. I just read to that I should not move it in gear without it running or spinning the prop. So I was thinking maybe you cant move it forward without it running? and Im hoping somebody can help cause shifting in reverse is kinda scary and I surely wont let my wife drive till its correct. Any help would be great and thanks alot. Oops forgot to mention its a 1986 force 85 that runs great

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The prop shaft needs to be turning to shift right.
​If it is still tough to shift? then the linkage needs to be reset.

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I dont understand how do I reset the linkage? I will take pics to show it later on since I learned how to resize pics:)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Pictures?

Motor off and shifter in N
​Key REMOVED!!

​Unhook the connector for both the fuel and shift.
Then turn the prop with your foot or ask someone to turn it.

Then as the wheel's turning.
​Shift from N into F and then to R then back to N.

Adjust the end of the connector to fit over the ball.

​Then the throttle cable needs to be adjusted so there is a small bit of tension on the cable.

Adjust the cable so the connector is just about on the ball and then pull and slide the connector onto the ball.
​This puts preload on the throttle and allows the throttle to rev down.