1973 chrysler 35hp magneto conversion

Jesse3507

Cadet
I have a 1973 chrysler 35hp model# 355HF with a magneto coil, points, condenser type ignition. Needless to say both coils are shot from the previous owner hooking up the ignition switch wrong. New coils 150 a piece. Anyone know how to switch to a battery external coil system that will work? From my research it can be done I just don't know what kind of coil or resistor to use.

Nordin

Commander
To convert your 35Hp from magneto to battery ignition system you need two coils (external) Automotive typ will fit but they are a bit big and will be hard to got in place under the hood.

You can use your condensers and points from the magneto system, then you need to replace the camcurve ring for the points.
The ring for the battery system has a different sharpening. The slant is not so steep as the ring for the magneto system.
It has to do with the magnetic field to collapse and induce current to the coils.

Best way is to try finding a yunked 45 or 55Hp with battery system and put the ignition system to your 35Hp.
As I stated before in your other thread about this, the 35Hp did not come with battery system.
I had only the nagneto system.

OR you check out Ebay for coils or a hole timing plate for magneto system.

The 45 and 55Hp came with magneto system too so there should be alot of parts out there.
Just take your time and you will find it.